Fish Identification

Guy

So I inherited a pond and fish when I purchased my current house 6 months ago and as in my other postings you'll see that I've built a new tank and shifted the fish across. So next big question, what exactly have I got. There's 5 18-20cm truly orange fish that Im pretty certain are comets (single anal fin, single 2 pronged tail with pointed ends. Ok so what about the ones that have the same features except that they have some gold scales underneath and the rest is black. Other than that they look like the comets and of these I probably have 40 of in various sizes from 2cm to 20cm.

G2

I'll try and get some photo's soon. Yes they are a sooty black on top and a bronze underneath. So I thought maybe uncoloured comets as well, but some of them are 20cm long.... so don't think they will be changing. Given the old pond was at least 10yrs old by the looks of it there may have been a couple of generations in it and these are the results. There's about 40 young ones between 2cm and 5cm so some of these may change.

G2

Yeah Caryl, I did a quick check when I first got the house as the place was previously owned by an Chinese family. Also As a kid we had a large dam full of koi, some over 2-3ft in length. I once got one on a fly rod for all of 10 sec's until it emptied the spool of line. Very intelligent fish, watched MAF for days trying to catch them using a set net across the dam. They would just swim up to it, and then either dive down under it, or swim along until they found where a float was missing and then jump across. Even so I'd rather they weren't present at all in NZ.

In time I'll probably trade most of them and acquire some natives for both ponds