Film on the waters surface?

BnB

Hi all,

Just a lil worried as i seem to have some film in the newest tank.

This tank houses my hatchets, and although they seem all good i would rather the film be gone.

I have tried dragging the paper over the surface, but doesnt totally clear up.

I have a external filter running (fluval 204) tanks 200L should i maybe also add an internal filter as well? This tank has glass lids 3 piece which is a pain.

Have 3 other tanks which dont have any problems but the have hoods.

Maybe i need to get a hood made for this tank

If you don't have a lid, then that is the problem.

It is stuff falling from the air onto the water.

My tanks get it particularly bad as I use fans to cool them, so more 'stuff' is forced into contact with the water.

I often wonder how much it impedes gas exchange, but I have never seen anything saying it does or doesn't.

Having the surface disturbed helps to dissolve it into the water. This would be an airstone, spray bar, or having the filter outlet pouring into the tank. Kinda distasteful the idea of all that muck being in the water, but regular waterchanges keep it low. Paper towels do achieve some removal, but are a huge hassle.

If there is a good reason for not having a lid, then deal with the film. If there is not a good reason, get a lid :)

Hi Stella

Thanks for the reply.

The tank does have a lid well 3 pieces of glass just how the tank comes.

But cause it's a 3 piece lid that means there are a few gaps also. so it must be getting in there.

May have to look at making a wooden hood or something i seen a post in the DIY section.

Anyone had a go at making one of these?

(i'd be a silly boy if i had no lid with hatchet fish in my tank)

Hmmm, since it is mostly covered....

is the film forming quickly? Or has it slowly formed over a few months?

Is there any surface turbulence?

How regular are you waterchanging?

It is also possible for a buildup of muck within the water to affect the surface tension and stuff gets held there. This is more likely if you are less religious with maintenance, or not doing big enough waterchanges.

When i do the water change the majority of it goes but within a day or 2 it's back, oh yeah i also have been using a ceiling fan in the room as it's been damn hot lately.

Do water changes at least once a week usually twice a week though bout 30 to 40 litres each time.

I may be over feeding the fish a lil as i am still getting used to the tank and it's occupants but in saying that i don't see much wasted food. It's been running about 8 weeks now

Firefish, I think someone's kid a while back tipped a whole jar of moisturiser into a tank... though I daresay the film wasn't the main problem! :o Good point though.

BnB, the volume of the waterchange depends on the size of the tank. 30-40 lt on a 200lt tank is only 15-20%. That may be sufficient if the stocking is low and the food input is low. (every tank is so unique in what it needs to be healthy! it is so hard to guess what a tank may need)

The tank is still very new, it would probably benefit from bigger waterchanges.

Changing how much you feed may help too. See if it makes a difference.

Remember the more food goes in, the more waste comes out. I feed my fish heaps and mostly meat, so I know I need to do big waterchanges. I have 220lt tanks and usually do 40-50% once a week. It might be more than they need, but a bit of leeway is good too.

I do think it is appearing rather quickly. I guess you just need to tweak things til you work out where it is coming from.

It may be an algae being fed by too much food and therefore too much nutrient. Does it leave a green sludge on your hands when you put them in the water?

No don't notice anything on my hand when its been in the water

Looks kinda oily

Is this tank in the same room as the other tanks that don't have the problem?

Could there be something in the air that leaves the oily film - for example do you burn candles in this room? Or use some kind of plug-in fragrance or insect repellent? Is it near a kitchen where it might get cooking fumes?

If there are no obvious external causes I suspect it might just be something to do with this being a new tank and not quite all balanced yet. In that case, keep up the water changes, increase surface agitation, and generally continue with all the good fish-keeping practises that we should all do anyway.

Good luck.

I've had two types of film build up on tanks I've owned. The first was similar to what you describe - like a light but not shinny oil building up - surface agitation seems to keep it at bay and I think it relates to too much protein heavy foods?

The second had the film being like a green algae or surface scum. This was a real hassle. In the end I got a surface skimmer that replaced the intake for my canister filter. It worked really well although I continued to find other ways to get rid of the scum.

So the two things I'd try initially is to reduce feeding (and check protein levels on the food you have) and increase the size of water changes - maybe a 50% then some 25-30% every couple of days.

If possible increase the surface agitation, that should help as well.

good luck!

Cool thanks for all the ideas will give them a try.

Tanks in the lounge and we don't burn candles or anything or it's not near the kitchen,

I'm guessing after what people have said probably to do with the feeding and not taking enough water out.

But you learn from these things

Cheers

I had this happen first on one tank then in another. The first time I noticed it the tank was upstairs in my apartment so not near the kitchen. Thinking back I did have plug in air fresheners, but not alot so really don't think that was the issue. Anyway, tried the paper towel thing and it didn't really work. So I added an airstone, problem gone! I presently have an airstone in all 3 tanks so don't know if it would reappear if I turned them off or not. But even when it was there didn't seem to cause any harm to the fish or the water parameters.

Caper

It depends on what is causing the film as to whether it is harmful. Anything on the surface will cut back the oxygen exchange so can do damage to lesser or greater degrees.

Some fish foods are high in protein and these can cause a film to develop.