Urgent Help

Fay

You need something better than meth blue. You need Levamisole (cattle and sheep drench). You can get small containers at places like farmlands for a few dollars. Make sure it is unmineralised. Use enough to get about 15ppm concentration in your tank. Within 12 hours of adding it the worms will be all gone. It kills any worms inside or outside the fish and breaks the breading cycle so usually only one treatment is necessary. After 3 days, do a 50% water change and add carbon to the filter.

It doesn't kill your biological filter either (unlike Meth Blue).

You will need 3 grams of levamisole for 200L (15 ppm = 15mg/L, therefore 200 * 15mg/l = 3000mg = 3g), thats assuming you can get hold of the active ingredient (ie pure levamisole as opposed to in a drench etc). Otherwise you will have to work out how much drench to use to give you 3 grams of levamisole.

Also read this thread for a bit more info:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=281

No, never heard of it Alan.

Cure-Ex (Masterpet) work pretty well also. It comes in a 50ml bottle and has good directions. It takes a lot longer to work (2-3 days) but it still gets the job done. I would have told you about it earlier but I forgot what it was called and had to go look it up...

I'm not a farmer but as far as i know, levamisole drenches are insoluble in water.

But using an anthlemintic/dewormer is definitely the way to go, and levamisole is definitely a safer n effective drench for fish, as opposed to the avermectins or benzimidazoles.

U should b able to find a bird wormer product from most petshops in NZ-- think it's called Avi something. a blue solution. active ingredient Tetramisole. This one's definitely soluble in water.

U don't have to tx the entire tank. just immerse the fish in a seperate solution( using levamisole dose rates, supplement O2 and leave for 8hrs or so. Repeat the immersion at mthly intervals for say 3-4 tx total. that shou;d rid camallanus and even capillarial worms.

The bird wormer that comes in a tube, doesn't get you that much active ingredient (tetramisole - (which is a isomer of levamisole)) for the cost of it.

If you are going to mix it up with food make sure that all the fish eat it. The worst affected fish will probably eat the least (as they will be the ones that feel the least like eating). I find it much easier to put it in the water.

If you can get some levamisole I would still recommend that this is the way to go. Much less stress on the fish than removing them etc, and much easier too.

Also levamisole drench should be soluble in water. Levamisole itself is soluble, however I have read that it is best to make sure your tank has a neutral tio acidic ph in order for the levamisole hydrochloride to dissociate properly.

• 1 month later...
You need something better than meth blue. You need Levamisole (cattle and sheep drench). You can get small containers at places like farmlands for a few dollars. Make sure it is unmineralised. Use enough to get about 15ppm concentration in your tank. Within 12 hours of adding it the worms will be all gone. It kills any worms inside or outside the fish and breaks the breading cycle so usually only one treatment is necessary. After 3 days, do a 50% water change and add carbon to the filter.

It doesn't kill your biological filter either (unlike Meth Blue).

Would this kill planaria & be harmless to plants? Looking at bath options biologial filter cleanout etc... (ammo zorb & other day water change programme for 4 weeks plus "cycle").

I'll wait till the microscope turns up before I try anything too drastic & let you know the findings.

Should help.

I figure cellular disruption has to be the best way to deal with the planaria & thier eggs. Might need to play around with things for a bit. I've got some good lab reference stuff to work with which'll help, big job tho.