Tell me about these Arowana.

Andrew_W

My green is a bit shy of my hand, but is only about 10-11", I bet if it was starved for a day or two it would probably take shrimp from my hand, and would be so enthusiastic it would get my fingers too! I was bitten a few times by my black, but only while hand-feeding my fire eel.

well i see that people are just saying that a 4 foot tank is too small, so what would be the ideal tank for a single silver aro to live in for its entire natural life?

That question is asked and debated on an almost weekly basis in the MFK Arowana forum, and the general consensus is that an 8'x3'x2' (obviously 3' wide) tank is the bare minimum to house a silver for life. You should budget on it hitting 24" in around 2 years if well fed and housed in an appropriately sized tank, and from there it should grow slowly to at least 30-36", and would probably get bigger still if housed in a bigger tank. They might be flexible, but they are still big fish! They are really powerful, and spook easily if kept in too small a tank.

Jardini and asians slow in growth a lot earlier, but ultimately should get to 2'+.

I remember a pet store in Hamilton when I lived there a few years back, they had a ~2' silver in a tank that looked about 5' long, 2.5' tall and 18" wide. Along with a giant gourami, and a huge piece of driftwood. It didn't look happy....

it would need counselling living with a giant gourami

somewhat rare.

they bring them in batches, i assume only every how many years or so, if they keep bringing them in, sales would stop because the market here is small, they are very expensive! and a selected few actually buy arowanas due to its size and nature of keeping them.

There will be some on trademe once in a while. look out there.

but mainly, just gotta put your name down for one, usually involving a deposit of 50% so thtas a minimum of 750 bux.

i have 2 asians ,one australian - im talking about fish by the way

• 2 weeks later...