Hole In The Head, Oscars

Snowman

Ahhh yes well now I can see why some people get banned.

Just because some thing is used as an antibiotic does not mean it IS an antibiotic.

Gylceral trinitrate for example stops chest pain. In another life it blows stuff up

Digitalis kills things. Quckily. Looks nice. And is used daily by thousands of People to slow heart rates.

There is enough raw nicotine in a single cigerette to kill several people when put in solution yet still people put suicide by installment sticks in their mouths and light them.

Flagyl is an anti microbial agent that has an antibiotic effect and an anti flagylate action.

Primary use in Flagylates

Silver is made into a nice shiny thing yet it is also one of the most effective anti MICROBIAL agents know. Yet in any more than 1 part per million it comes out of concentration and can kill you...

Semanitics

Easy to cut and paste part of a conversation tho eh.

Navarre

What is your point? - I've never been banned. Have you? You made an erroneous and unhelpful blanket statement of absolutely no use to the person posting the question, then posted a bunch of quotes that undermined your own statement, now you want to argue semantics to save face? If you've got no advice on how to treat an Oscar with hole-in-the-head maybe you shouldn't be posting anything in this thread eh?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

AFAIK - as far as i know.

EDTA as far as I know is a binding agent... course this is chemistry and there are a million names and acronym names that overlap.

DTPA is the conjugate base for EDTA. (acids have conjugate bases).

wiki (i know is not a reliable source) states that:

=wiki It is used as a soil extractant for available soil micronutrients like Zn, Fe, Cu and Mn at the pH of 7.3 with Calcium chloride and TEA

AFAIK - as far as i know.

EDTA as far as I know is a binding agent... course this is chemistry and there are a million names and acronym names that overlap.

DTPA is the conjugate base for EDTA. (acids have conjugate bases).

wiki (i know is not a reliable source) states that:

Now i'm on to it.

What you mean't to say was.

EDTA AFAIK is a binding agent

TEA??

erm... yes :o:o:o:D :lol:

i think.

TEA is an interesting compound now that i read more about it.

basically it is a K+ blocker. (potassium ion).

it can be used to alter a compound's solubility by displacing hard acids with this comparatively softer acid
says wiki. so it must be true :lol:

I think this is the bit that will help with the hole in the head thing... has something to do with neurons.. i can ask my mum for more info if you like. but there's a good chance I wont be able to explain it.

That stuff sounds like a good start, but I think you'll need more calcium available for uptake in your water to repair the damage that is already there (HITH is associated with de-calcification). If you don't want to buy Aqua-Dur etc you could just buy a two dollar cuttlefish from any petshop and throw it in the tank for now, or better still buy some JBL 'Calcil' turtle sticks, or Flukers Crickets - YUMMY! (they are gutloaded with Calcium) and feed them if you are worried about affecting your pH too much. Also, dont be alarmed if a blackish 'cobweb' begins to form around and over the holes - that is the first sign of skin tissue regeneration. Good luck :D

That stuff sounds like a good start, but I think you'll need more calcium available for uptake in your water to repair the damage that is already there (HITH is associated with de-calcification). If you don't want to buy Aqua-Dur etc you could just buy a two dollar cuttlefish from any petshop and throw it in the tank for now, or better still buy some JBL 'Calcil' turtle sticks, or Flukers Crickets - YUMMY! (they are gutloaded with Calcium) and feed them if you are worried about affecting your pH too much. Also, dont be alarmed if a blackish 'cobweb' begins to form around and over the holes - that is the first sign of skin tissue regeneration. Good luck :D

I added oyster shells and cuutlefish bone a few weeks ago when the syptoms first started to show. At the same time I also started to vary his diet including snails ( he spits out the crickets).

I have been adding trace element mix for about a week. ( about a pinch every water change)

Over the last few days black cobweb has started to form over the wounds.

It looks like we are on the right track.

I am hoping that we are well on the way to a natural remedy for HITH without the use of antibiotics and wormers.

Thank you all for your advise. :hail:

Updates to follow.

• 4 weeks later...