Carnivorous tank inspiration

scales & tails fishfa

Hi guys.

I want to set up a large carnivor tank approximatly 3m long, 1.5m-2m wide and 1.5-2m high.

It won't be planted. Lots of bog wood, some gravel and a croc skull ornoment.

Just want some inspiraton on fish communities and landscapping. Send in your ideas and photos of your communities and stuff.

I really want a :D :

Black Arowana

tiger oscar

oddball fish or large cichlid

an eel of some sort.

Haven't done any research yet. Just spitballing some ideas.

Is this actually a planned project, or a "design your dream tank as if you'd won lotto"? :wink:

If not the latter, what is the tank made of?!

100mm low ion glass haha

Um you could snorkel to clean it or look at a system where the water changes suck all the muck of the bottom. Like some sort of UGF

if you do need any help with ideas on a bottom of tank filtration system let me know. We have a 10foot wall tank in my parents house that I set up with filtration that let water out the base of the tank, and an automatic water filling system.

all you had to do was turn the taps for water to be let out and water would automatically flow in as the water level decreased. its an effective system.

hope to help! :bounce:

First and foremost, i love the idea of a massive pred tank. AKA monster tank.

In that tank, this is what i would have.

2x clown knife

2x royal knife

4x silver aro or 4 sorts of differnt aros except jaridnii unless youare brave.

bichirs

giant gouramis

OR

lots of pacus, iant gouramis and 5 silver arowanas:D

but yes, as david said, is this an actual plan, or a dream?

cos i want a tank like that.... for now its a not a plan but not just a dream.... ill call it a drlan.... a dream and plan combined:D and people here know im eccentric enough to do it :D if not then they are non believers!!:P

anyways, if this is forreal, the MFK links is the best sites

lots of plans

^ if you move to america perhaps.

I'd love to build a big concrete tank/pond like in the links I posted, but in NZ most of the monster fish you can't get hold of so it would nearly be a waste. No peacock bass, no Lates Sp. (perch), no barras, no lower jaw polypterus, no rays, no big catfish, etc etc.

When we buy a house I may consider building something along those lines, but on a smaller scale, and have it set up as either a big south american tank with geophagus, uaru, discus, silver dollars, fancy plecos, various catfish etc, or as just a general monster tank with arowanas, dats, large cichlids, big loaches, polypterus etc. One day...

:lol:

lol.. i love that thought too... i miss having peacock bass...and alligator gars.

you do get the odd shovelnose... depends on how much $$$$ you are willing to part with though. many were imported under a different name as juvies and still are being imported(from what i hear of course; i would never encourage selling illegal fish :oops: )

:cry:

Great Idea, I hope you have the space and cash to make it a reality.

I'd be happy to help you out with some automation engineering, on a tank that size you don't want to do anything manually. Automatic waterchanges, ph, DO and temp monitoring and control.

A nice group of Delhezi's would be my pic. Also they aren't carnivores but a few mature Gold nuggets for clean up crew...big fish=big mess.

I'd almost pay to scuba in a tank that size :bounce:

ok..... :D

1. I have the money.

2.I am just thinking of a community of fish for it. I will get into equipment research later and make sure it is well suited for the size and species of the animals. I am thinking of building it around the end of the year after lots of planning and research.

3. I am thinking of building a tank that is appox 3m long, 1.2m wide and 1m tall. ( I have now measure the area where I would want to put it if I had one. )

4. I am tall, have a stool and I can get cleaning equipment that is long. So I will be able to clean it properly.

The fish that I would really like would be:

1x Black Arowana

tiger oscars

tiger borneo

some sort of eels or bichirs

Oddball fish or cichlids :D:D:D:D:D

and a catfish.

p.s. can you get garfish in NZ?

Forgive our pessimism about whether or not you can follow through. Those of us on here who are into monster/carnivorous fish all want to do exactly what you are doing but cant for what ever reason, we get all excited every time someone mentions something like this only to find out they are a dreamer with big ideas, a big mouth and no idea of what it takes to pull off.

You will find plenty of help in your development and construction from a number of people in this community.

Keep us posted please, we are very interested. Join your local club, it allows us to put faces to names and chew the fat in person.

All the best

Owen

• 3 months later...