Blue acara

Mr McFish

You could probably do a compatible pair of jewels/firemouths/blue acara in a 3ft tank, they would outgrow it but it would be a case of eventually, I would say years rather than months.. If you have a pair that is a little stroppy with each other it may not work out so well..

Rams are harder to care for and raise the babies, apisto's are another type of dwarf cichlid, just google apistogramma and you will find heaps of info, there aren't too many types around nz ones I know are around are panduro, cockatoo's, agazzi and a few others..

Oh yeah sweet hi :) Glad to hear they are ok they're nice fish..

If you put your location in your profile people know if your local etc, if you want to see some appisto's I have cockatoo's and just got a nice pair of panda's that look like they're going to breed soon.

Good luck finding a bigger tank you can get bargains esp these days on trademe.

How can you guys make that recommendation based solely on the length of the tank? I'd say a pair of blue acaras would be fine in a 3'x18"x18" tank. Who knows, it could be a 3' cube, or only 3'x1'x1'.....

Good point.. I make assumptions too, I have a 3ft here that holds 150L and another that holds 90L so would be good to know dimensions.. I would probably stick a pair of acara's in the smaller one, but that's just me and I do have plenty of tanks to move them around if need be.

The fire mouths I have seen for sale seem to be very pale.

Could be one of two things, or a combination of both. Either stressed fish, or another sad case of easy to breed fish being unscrupulously bred by people who don't care about quality and just want to make a buck and/or have the bragging rights.

Make sure you shop around and get the most colourful fish you can find, and if you're going to breed them grow out a group of 10+ young, preferably from different sources.

Could be one of two things, or a combination of both. Either stressed fish, or another sad case of easy to breed fish being unscrupulously bred by people who don't care about quality and just want to make a buck and/or have the bragging rights.

Make sure you shop around and get the most colourful fish you can find, and if you're going to breed them grow out a group of 10+ young, preferably from different sources.

couldn't agree more! :bounce: