Black Arowanas

scales & tails fishfa

Australia would be about the most expensive place to get them from. Either asia or the US would be your best option. Put me down for three of them if you can get some. Good luck!

MyAro.jpg

Thats the only pic I have of my black (pre digital camera days). The napier aquarium had a large one (labeled as a silver too) when I was there about 12 months ago.

It did have a high piece of glass at the front, but there was a rocky kinda landscape behind it, there's a chance it could have jumped out and gone over the glass or got stuck up on the rocks somewhere. You can see just how good they are at jumping in that video I posted!

Its cool eh. I remember watching the whole doco in 7th forum Geography when I was just getting into fish keeping, then the LFS got a black aro in, I think I went down there nearly every day after school to watch it! I'd love to find a copy of the whole thing on video/dvd.

Hey David R.

I want one round the end of this year.

Did you say you wanted 3?

I'm in Auckland and go to Hollywood Fish farm , Albany.

I always import fish and corals through them. You should go ask. I'm gonna ask in about august.

I've spoken to Dave, the owner of HFF, about it (thats where I got my black from years ago) and basically if the importers can't get it then you're out of luck. And speaking to the importer who brought in my green asian aro (he still has some btw) he said he hasn't seen them on his suppliers lists for a long time.

So, if you're really keen you need to find someone overseas who has some (Try Infinite Aquatics in the US, I think it was them, they're one of the vendors on monsterfishkeepers.com) find out a price and if they'd be willing to ship internationally. Then you need to find someone with a quarantine room who is willing to do it for you (Steve at Aquarius would be the first one I'd try). To get some economy of scale I'd say you would want to import at least 10 black aros, and probably some other fish to sell on depending on what they have available that is allowed in, the importer may or may not be interested in doing this so they can make some money.

So, basically you need to have a big wad of cash to pay up front (once you've found the fish) and be prepared to part with a large chunk of it, as I suspect that they could be between $500-1000 each by the time you pay all the associated costs, and depending on what else you bring in to sell to offset costs, and if there are any losses in transit. If you're bringing in 10 fish that cost $150US if two don't make it the price goes up to nearly $190US (but a lot of the associated costs will stay the same).

Like I said, good luck!

BTW I am keen for 1-3+, depending on price, but would need to know well in advance so preparations can be made. Keep me posted if you decide to go ahead with anything.

Awesome videos! Mystic when I first watched the first one you posted I thought, breeding, heck the aros eating little fishies :oops: It wasn't till I watched the next one that I caught on...duh :o

Wow, David, you weren't kidding when you said then can jump much higher than I was thinking!

Caper