White fluffy coating, please help!

Mel

Ok so just been down to the LFS - I am gutted the guy who knows everything about fish no longer works there - I got advice from some young girl

I decided on Wunder Tonic & Melafix - have just now dosed the tank

Fingers X'd it works.

Is it a wound with fungus on it or is it the whole side of the fish without a wound? If it is the first you will need a bacteriacide and fungicide as the wound will be infected with both and for the latter you will need a bacteriacide as it will be columnaris (mouth fungus) which is actually a bacteria---treat with furan 2

Thanks for the reply

will the tonic and melafix help alittle I spent all I had on that medication so won't be able to get the furan till later in the week.

Also will the furan2 be ok to add in with the tonic & melafix or should I put fresh water in and start from stratch - he's in a 10 litre tank at the moment

Only just got the fish 2 days ago - so really not sure if a wound.

Hey Ryan,

the fluffy area is pretty much covering one side of the fishes body area quite a thick fluffy coating - I did notice last night that he had like slightly peeling skin - kinda like when they fight then this morning he had a thick fuffy coating. Stupid us put him in the big tank so now I'm panicing the other fish will get it. The other jewel I got with him seems fine no fluff at all and no lessions

- I have managed to get the furan 2 and have put that in the tank now along with the tonic and melafix and salt

... gosh i hope I don't overdose the poor fishie.

ok, it definitely sounds like columnaris.

Get the sick fish the hell out of the tank with other fish. Yes it is infectious. Very. But the other fish will hopefully be ok if you then:

Do a big waterchange on the main tank. Add 1tsp of salt per litre to that tank.

If the tank is huge do some calculations:

1tsp of salt = 6.6g

100tsp of salt (ie for 100lt water) = 660g

660g = er.... check the weights and measures part of your Edmonds cookbook to figure out the cup measure....

DISSOLVE the salt first. Add in thirds over a couple of hours.

Don't worry about if the salt has iodine or 'anti-caking agents'. The is no science behind warnings not to use it in aquaria. Aquarium salt is much chunkier and therefore there is a different weight of salt per teaspoon. PLain table salt is a couple of bucks from the supermarket for a kg.

Treat the sick fish with the same dosage in another tank (if it is still alive, sounds like an acute stage which usually kills within 24 hours).

Do 50% waterchanges every couple of days making sure you replace the salt removed. If there are no symptoms after a week, stop adding salt when you do waterchanges and it will slowly decrease back to nothing.

Now, columnaris is in the water all the time anyway, it is an opportunistic bacteria. There was something stressing your fish's immune system to make it vulnerable. This could be anything wrong with the tank. Usually water quality (as with most disease) but can be any number of things. THis needs to be fixed. Won't fix the fish but disease outbreak is a symptom of something else being wrong.

***NOTE: I have no idea what a 'jewel' is, please check it is ok with salt before using it. Check other species in your tank too***

Best of luck.