Bloated? Off balance! Inside tank goldfish. Y?

max

We have 6 goldfish that are from the same outside tank (only a few months old) and they are now in our indoor aquarium- Have noticed that 3 of them have become rather big in the belly and are also swimming off balance. We feed them fishflakes 2x a day- they are always hungry!!!!!!! I wondered if maybe they were pregnant but how/can u tell the sex of a goldfish? or if they are pregnant? if so do i need to change their living situation? we'd love to breed some babies!! 8)

Hi, yes i would also think it's more a bladder problem maybe bloat. Goldfish a little piggys really.

Usually when you put flake in they gulp and take in air - I would suggest you try putting a pinch of flake into the water instead of sprinkling on top.

To help with the fishies bloat problem put some shelled peas in the tank and don't feed them for afew days

Just a thought - are there scales sticking out?

I wondered if maybe they were pregnant but how/can u tell the sex of a goldfish? or if they are pregnant? if so do i need to change their living situation? we'd love to breed some babies!! 8)

If they're pregnant you should publish it in some big fishkeeping magazine, you'll the the first EVER to have a pregnant goldfish. You'll be FAMOUS!

Otherwise, repeat after me, "Egg layers do NOT get pregnant."

thanks mj and Paul for your support re sarcasm BUT hey that's life and i've learnt something from it- if you dont ask silly questions u never learn!

Should i seperate the baby fish who are not bloated or off balance and feed them as usual while the others go on their shelled pea diet? Another "silly" question but how many peas for 4 med sized goldfish?

Their scales are not sticking out- that i can tell- as they are constantly on the go!!!

What does it mean if they are?

Sorry if i offended anyone with my "pregnancy" question. :oops:

really? :o I thought everyone was born knowing the word 'gravid'? ;)

Max, look closely at the gill covers of your fish. If you see small raised white spots on them they are boys. If a male is fat it is a health problem, if there are no white spots there is a good chance it might be a gravid (ie full of eggs, also 'ripe') female.

Is it safe to assume they all have the same general body-shape otherwise? As in single-tail and streamlined body, or double-tail and short rounded body?

Goldfish tend to cannibalise their eggs, so dense plants help with concealing them or you can remove them to another tank for hatching.

Oh, just rereading your post, by 'only a few months old' do you mean the fish or the tank? I think goldfish less than 5cm do not spawn.

(note: goldfish are ALWAYS hungry! ;))

I doubt if they are only young fish that they would be full of eggs.

Usually when my goldfish are having swim bladder problems i put them into a shallow tank - it just makes it easier for them (I might be wrong on that, but it's what i have always done)

I usually pop in 5-6 peas - it's also good to give goldfish peas every now and then as it's kind of like a laxative and cleans them out

I would proberly also suggest feeding your goldfish only once a day

I had a really fat goldfish who I was feeding every day. I fed him some bloodworms to 'clean him out' then fed him every second or third day and now he's a normal gold fish :) I would hazzard a guess at over feeding but thats just from personal experience.

Should i seperate the baby fish who are not bloated or off balance and feed them as usual while the others go on their shelled pea diet?

No

Another "silly" question but how many peas for 4 med sized goldfish?

There are no "silly" questions. Start with one pea. If they eat it all add another etc until they stop eating the peas (assuming they have been willing to eat peas in the first place. Some won't).

Their scales are not sticking out- that i can tell- as they are constantly on the go!!!

What does it mean if they are?

Looking like a pinecone (when seen from above) can be a sign of dropsy.

Sorry if i offended anyone with my "pregnancy" question

You did not offend anyone!

Cheers for your What is dropsy though? Gee at this ate i will know a heck of a lot in a very short time!! Might have to go to the library and get out some goldfish info books too i think!! From info ive had here and other pages that came up on google im positive that we wont be having any eggs arrive as they are too young and small- bugest only 5cm at most and smallest only about 2cm.

Is it a good idea to have fresh weed in the tank as well as plastic plants?

We feed them fishflakes 2x a day- they are always hungry!!!!!!!

how much are you feeding them? I had that initially, they always (look) hungry .... I now feed my goldfish tank every 2-4 days. They will eat and eat and eat like there is no tomorrow!

Goldfish are little piggies - they do always look hungry but don't let that fool you - they will follow you around the tank when you walk past - not necessarily for food but could be out of interest as well.

I'm wondering if, because they're only fed flake now, they're lacking from their vege diet they would have received while in the pond: algae and any other plant life growing in the pond. Goldfish are omnivores and need a balanced diet like we do: meat and vege. As goldfish are omnivores, they will eat anything: frozen brine and bloodworms, plants, veges, flakes of all kind etc. You're only feeding them flake at the moment - it's like you only eating bread - that can't sustain you and you'll have problems if you don't get all the nutrients you need - same for fish.

They're lacking in veges: peas are the most likely option: soften the peas first by cooking a few in the microwave for about a minute until the shell can be easily removed. Let them cool then mush them into the tank.

You could also try doing the same with corn kernels and even try soft carrot (pre-frozen stuff you get in vege mixes which is already soft and just needs eating) - but I find goldfish tend to love the peas best.

You're only feeding them flake at the moment - it's like you only eating bread - that can't sustain you and you'll have problems if you don't get all the nutrients you need - same for fish.

They're lacking in veges: peas are the most likely option: soften the peas first by cooking a few in the microwave for about a minute until the shell can be easily removed.

Never thought of this. I've recently passed my goldfish on to my Mum but that's definitely a good idea for her to think about. My fish have always seemed happy and fine on the floating pellets I give them but veggies seem like a good alternative. :)

Cheers for your What is dropsy though?

Briefly its when the fish bloats enough to cause the scales to stick out so that from above it looks like a pinecone. Cause - I'm not sure of the original cause but at the stage it begins to swell it is because the internal organs of the fish are beginning to shut down and it is retaining fluid. Cure - no definite known cure. The fish generally need to be euthanaised (sp?) as they will die. Putting epsom salts in the water will help but does not seem to cure 'dropsy' in its proper form.

Have been watching fish on and off all day today- curiosity mostly!!! and fed them mashed up peas which they loved!! noticed later today that one of the "bloated"? ones is now doing "white poo" had a good look at all the fish with a mate who has fish and couldnt notice that any were males so maybe caused by pea clean out?

My goldies get peas once a week. When they are fed flakes I put them "in" the tank as opposed to dropping them on top of the water :-? , if you know what I mean. Some flakes still manage to float to the top but can't help that!

I used to feed all my fish twice a day, with not food on Sundays. Now, I usually feed once a day every second day. So are they seem to be fine with this regime.

Caper