Recession Sucks

smidey

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 yr olds need to be taught how to save, and in college, kids should be taught the benefits and risks of HPs, renting appliances and houses, how to apply for loans and the dangers of credit cards.

We were.

I am 29 and at primary school there was that school savings thing (which I wasn't part of, didn't have pocket money) and then all through secondary school there were bits about the evils of HP and credit cards etc.

But of course the moment everyone left school they discovered the wonders of 'free money' through HP, credit cards, overdrafts etc.

It was scary seeing just how much debt people were in for no good reason. Many people lived at the ends of their credit cards.

Though I wonder now, how much of that was from student loan issues? For most people going to uni then, you lived off your student loan, you had to borrow to eat, and then it had market interest rates. I could see that I was still going to be paying for the baked beans I ate decades ago. It made borrowing to live a compulsory lifestyle.

(And before anyone thinks we should have just got part time jobs, people did, and they were failing papers because of it)

Agreed with everyone saying parents aren't taking responsibility for their kids.

Also agreeing with Alanmin saying it has always been that way. The difference now is parents expect teachers t oraise the kids.

(And before anyone thinks we should have just got part time jobs, people did, and they were failing papers because of it)

My daughter worked at foodtown, the warehouse and still got a masters in education??

No, They couldnt go out as much as their friends that did fail.

Most students think that the money they borrowed should be either interest free or written off but that teaches nothing at all and means that the rest of the working peoples tax should suppliment or be given to them.

Quite frankly, too many people are in uni taking courses that there is little or no employment chances for.

They way I see it, if their is say 100 jobs expected in the accounting field, Uni's should only accept the TOP 120 students. I also feel that a lot of people take a course at Uni as its the thing to do before joining the work force.

This is going to upset some in here and its not ment to be personal but a business course is almost like a BA and is a waste of time and money.

Every company I have dealings with want to train their staff in their ways without the hassel of having to re-educate the degrees that have been taught by people that have never run a business of any size.

Sure, if there are no jobs, Uni or the armed forces are great and far better than sitting down at home but Maccas, warehouse or foodtown are all great leaning places as well.

Most older people would respect far greater a person working in a beginner job more than a Uni student that has a worthless piece of paper

Sorry to rave, I suppose age and seeing people go wrong does that to me

I'm not saying that teachers should get kids to save, and the saving scheme Diver is talking about was actually a Government thing, not a school thing too. My school did it as well. It's the Government's problem, because the Government has to clean up the mess that is left when parents fail.

I think it would be better for the government to stop the mess from happening in the first place by canning the state-sponsored reproduction of the down-and-outs. If you can't afford to raise the child(ren) you already have, then creating more should be a serious offense with serious repercussions...

A lot of talking in Circles.

There are many forms of smart, bright, intelligience. There are many ways to achieve an objective and anyone who dismisses the idea that there is something to learn everyday they live regardless of it source is missing out.

You're talking about what people are learning, and touching on the process of that learning as well.

Five year olds being taught things such as finance and credit is a lot of rubbish. I wonder if there should be more emphasis in they manner in which we impart knowledge and communicate with our young, and the level of political or social doctrine we will accept in that process.

Time will be the chief determinant on how a Philosphy of Political correctness in our recent history will shape the minds and lives of the generations that have been most affected by it.

The wonderful thing about human history is that in many aspects it is only the length of a human life.

"Freedom comes at a cost"- will always be a topical and current truism.

The rationale to look to the State( whether govt or school), to provide solutions to social or economic problems is, ironically coinciding with a time where those same states entities have legislated against the ability of individuals to determine resolutions based on their requirements.

We have to adhere to ridiculous social ideals that are determined in many cases by societies lowest common denominators. The problem with a philosphy like that it is non aspiration, it draws a line in the sand that is beneath many of us, and will eventually achieve more of its goal- To make people less independent, more dependent, and where the idea surfaces that the that same said State needs to be the one to solve the problem.

The result - socially brainwashed boof heads crying to Govt to make things right.

I wonder if they were of the same people who were getting diplomas( subsidised by taxpayers) in Eastern belly dancing, or another Utopian flight of fancy.

Too many who have accepted social engineering based on the betterment of all, only to see many individuals poorer for it, and I'm not talking money.

Hate to say it but there are going to be a whole heap of unprepared people out there if that is still the best they can offer as a resloution. All this and the recession is only in its infancy.

There is no such thing as straight line graph in economics, we would agree on that yet we endeavoured to flatline the social graph based on whimsical social idealism.

Robert Owen gave up on this notion nearly two hundred years ago.

It is interesting though that that tone of this thread has moved towards the social aspect of what was an ecomic topic.