Wood for my 130l tank???

lf

Ok, have found some amazing weathered Puriri while out walking. If I clean it up and keep it well soaked so it sinks would it be ok to use in the tank??? Long angled piece that could be securely propped up to create hiding places, it has several crevices that could hold plants higher up so I would get different levels. Has not been treated in any way, so a`la natural!

Thanks phoenix for the plant ideas. Next comes the substrate.

Been investigating some of the different tetras, have not decided on which ones yet as it is too soon for final decisions. Looked at some juvi blue rams today as well, look real nice. Will wait for tank clean, refill and cycling before I make the final decisions. Can't wait, but I know I have to.

It will probably release tannins which stain the water yellow or brown. THe amount depends on the wood and how old it is. This is nothing to worry about, it does not affect anything in a negative way, but some people are surprised when it happens and worry.

I think it makes the water look nice and 'aged' 8)

Thanks for the great replies. Wood from a farm. some is already sitting at the bottom of the fishbin it is sitting in. One piece keeps wanting to float, not too worried if I can't use that piece.

:o Never thought of cooking wood before!!!!

Hubby would wonder what I had done to upset him if I put that on the cook top :lol:

You don't need to soak it to get rid of accumulated salt as the salt is only on the surface and in nooks and crannies. A good spray with the hose fixes that.

Also, the trace amounts of salt are harmless. Dosing the tank with salt for trying to illnesses or whatever uses 10 times the amount of salt you'd get from even a massively salty big log.

I soak my new driftwood in a strong mix of methylene blue to kill any nasties (me? paranoid???), then do several water changes.

If your driftwood wants to float weight it down under water until it not longer wants to float. Time taken depend on how big and dry the piece is.

Stu :)