Water change with a garden hose.

michael.qian

There is always the risk that their maybe chlorine in dangerous levels in the water.. However I have always used the hose when I live in Auckland or here and had no problems for it..

Only exception was when I had discus and when I have very young dwarf cichlid fry (after a month or so they get the hose but only small water changes).

I always do a water change on a tank of more disposable tank first (sounds horrible I know) and observe them, I also make sure I create as many bubbles as possible when filling the tank (aeration dispels the chlorine) and keep a bottle of strong de-chorinator handy, I have never had to use it or have any problems yet.

I use my garden hose to refill my bigger tank.

Possible problems

- the water is colder, so I dont do it in the winter, and in the summer I set it to spray in the tank slowly so the heater can keep up.

- Run the hose for a minute first to flush out any nasty crap thats leached out of the plastic over the last week.

- Chlorine - depends on your tap water. If you dont use de-chlorinator, then there is no difference. If you do, them mix some into the tank before you refill and it works just the same.

Ian

I used to buy dechlorinator.

Then I've heard from quite a few people, mostly on here, Auckland water doesn't have any chlorine so never bought it again.

Been at least 6 months, no problems.

Im fairly sure there is some chlorine in auckland water, the reason most people dont both though is because the fish dont seem to care unless its a huge waterchange

I have used a garden hose to do 50% water changes in my African tank. They didn't mind it running full blast and very cold. The temperature and pH change didn't seem to bother them in the least. They played in the current like dogs sticking their heads out a car window :lol:

Our water here doesn't have chlorine in it. I believe Auckland's does. I knew a goldfish breeder in Auckland who never worried about the chlorine. He said his fish were used to it and he had no intention of adding chlorine removers or anything else to his tanks. He also used a garden hose.

Chlorine is pretty short lived and can be broken down fairly quickly by oxygenating such as spraying the water. However chloramine is much harder to break down, and is more popular with water treatment plants for this reason. I do up to 50% water changes without worrying, straight from the hose.

However I once forgot to turn off the hose overnight to my goldfish pond and would have had a 150% water change by morning. Many fish died and I guess it was due to chlorine/chloramine buildup.

same, i do 50% water changes with a hose only in summers though and dont lose fish cause of it. i do add some dechlorinator as the water is let in. and then i leave it to fill... occasionally ill even drain the tank as it fills if i need a larger water change.

I emailed Manukau Water and here is their reply...

Water treatment is a very complicated process. A significant part of this process requires the use of certain chemicals, for instance:

Coagulation - Alum as Al2(SO4)3, the most common coagulant in NZ (other coagulants used are sulphates and chlorides of aluminium and iron). The purpose of coagulation is to neutralise the charge of particles present in the raw water to allow flocculation.

Flocculation - Polyelectrolytes as natural (sodium alginate - derived from seaweed) or synthetic (polyDADMAC - a form of ammonium chloride with a long chain, positively charged with binding function). The purpose of flocculation is the binding of large particles into "flocs" which are subsequently removed in the process of sedimentation / clarification using either hydraulic process (mixing column) or mechanical mixing. Finally the fine particles are removed by the filtration process.

Alkalinity and pH adjustment - Lime (Ca(OH)2, caustic soda (NaOH) or soda ash Na2CO3;

Chlorination (chlorine gas, calcium or sodium hypochlorite) and fluoridation (Hydrofluosilicic acid, quality control product free of any toxic components).

Hope this answers your question

Kind regards

Snezana Nikolic

Water Quality Engineer

MANUKAU WATER LIMITED

I also emailed them re manakau water :lol:

Dear Aaron,

Water supplied to our customers in Manukau is treated with chlorine. The level of chlorine is maintained between 0.2 mg/l and 0.9 mg/L. This apparently is not a suitable condition for fish in a tank, therefore the owner needs to apply additional treatment to remove chlorine.

Regards