Please help keep fish alive

max

Hi, we got our boys a new fish tank for xmas and are "rookies"!! It has an in built filtration system and stereo spray bar,applied for water spraying, oxygen supply and wave making. We have also put in a fake plant and things 2 swim through (toys). We got 6 baby fish and 3 baby snails today and had the spray bar on but this seems to make them bet blown all over the place and we cant regulate it. I turned ot off a while ago to give them a break as the bigger ones seemed o be swimming slightly on their sides- but not near the top!

Will it kill them if we leave it off overnight and then get some fresh weed tommorrow?

It also has an in built light which it says to have on for at least 10 hours daily is this true?

thanks for any advice!! :hail:

Welcome Max,

I recommend you get reading about 'cycling an aquarium'. It is absolutely critical that any new fish keeper understands this. The tank is probably in need of a partial waterchange now. Basically remove 30-50% of the water and replace it.

The spray bar might be able to be rotated towards the nearest wall of the tank or similar to make the current less strong. Even removing it completely might be possible and could lessen the flow.

A filter should never be turned off. Do another search for 'biological filtration'. Aquarium 'filtration' is mostly bacterial processing of waste chemicals in the water, rather than mechanical gunk-removal. Although at this early stage the filter will not have established much, so don't worry this time. However all the more need to do a waterchange.

I don't know much about the different brands of aquarium, but if you let us know, others on the forum will be able to give you more specific advice about that setup. Also, what fish do you have?

Good luck :)

yeah what Stella said. Definitely learn about cycling an aquarium. I assume this is an Aqua One or similar type set up?? How big is the tank ? And what fish did you get?

If it is an Aqua One and if you think the fish are struggling against the flow that the filter is generating then if possible turn the outlet pipe to face the glass of the tank. That should help. But we do need more information to be able to help you further.

:D yes thats right i am from sunny hawkes bay!!! Sorry been busy with kids all morning so just got online...

our aquarium is a Hailea and the size is51.8cm x 39cm x 46cm. If that's any help.

The fish only went in yesterday after the water having a few days without fish as instructed.

Last night the oxygen supply was driving me crazy (tank is on breakfast bar outside our bedroom door) so i tried turning to face the glass, which the fish liked better, but in the end i removed the plug from the end of the stick that points out and the noise is less and the fish seem ok with it too!!! Hopefully this is giving them the oxygen needed?

oh and the fish type i am not sure of sorry.... got them from and outside tank that a friend breeds goldfish in and gives to family and mates- she has some at her house in a tank inside that have grown from babies to suit the size of the tank from the same outdoor pond so must work...

Hi Max,

The 'oxygen supply' is a little misunderstood. Water movement and bubbles do not directly add oxygen to the water. That happens at the surface of the water. Moving the water around means more water gets near the surface for gas exchange. A tank with no movement will still have oxygen, just a little less than if the water is being moved.

Probably what you have done to the spraybar is fine, but those who know the setup better will know exactly what you have done.

Can you describe the fish?

yes just the plain good old goldfish like i had when i was my kids age!!!! (mind you our fish just had a round bowl with an oxygen shell and some weed and seemed to survive ok!!)

will go and ask at the shop where we got the aquarium about what to do as they are very helpful and now that the kids know about it i dont have to disguise the questions!

They are in a cold water tank also and im quite happy for them to breed iif they want to!

:bounce: I went into the shop where we got the aquarium today and asked questions re the flow from the spray bar etc and got fantastic help! we have now added a regulator t-bar to it so are able to have it at a flow the fish seem happy with.