hi ya ammonia problem again

aaron11

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

adodge i have never used it in the others and they been ok

The test was ok now i did half water changes id prefer to do that weekly half the tank is that ok for the fish

I have been doing what you said and it worked !!!!

Also the guppie babies are going to the pet store next week if I can fatten them up a bit

I will keep a few I dunno what the best ones are too keep

I like one of my babies that has neon light blue fins hehe :bounce:

• 3 weeks later...

wow what a thread :o (got to a point where I just skipped most - so sorry if someone has already said what I am about to say)

anyway from my experiences (over feeding was my first bad move) if you have an ammonia problem it is going to be from excess "crap" (literally) in the pebbles .. so if it was me I would completely flush the pebbles - so yes remove everything from the tank - put all the fish / plants / water in buckets and flush those pebbles ... this is what killed my koura/borneos ... first my inexperience, second and mainly the over feeding wasn't fixed by a complete water change as the cause was in what lay beneathre

I'm currently over feeding my africans (2,3,4 times a day)... but they (6) are juveniles in a 240 litre tank which I do 30% changes on a weekly basis ... on the other side of the scale I have a 80 (ish) litre tank with 2 comets in it that I feed every 2-3 days (give or take a couple days) and I haven't changed the water (although have meant to) in about 5 weeks

it all comes down to stocking, type of fish (their eating habits) and how much you feed them

don't be fooled by their puppy dog "feed me eyes" ... fish (even goldies) are smart ...on that note my africans are giving me the eye so I should go tent to their wishes lol :roll:

Mj thanks its ok at the moment but if it happens again I will clean the gravel

I just brought a jebo 120 tank and stand for my guppies !! so that will keep me busy

Also OVERFEEDING yes i am so guilty of that they look so hungry all the time lol

I was feeding small amounts 1-2 times a day plus tubiflex worms, and bottom feeder tablets

Not realising the corys only need to be feed 3 times a week

I will check the water again tonight when I change it or tomorrow and thennnnnnnnn let u guys know

Thanks for ya help ppl

Hmm maybe I'm guilty of over feeding my fish too :oops: I have a JBL pot of food with a 'click' top that you click (obviously) and it dishes out a measured amount of food. I do that once a day, for quite a few fish (10 Neons, 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 female fighters, 4 platys) but they're all small/young. I also give my BN a sinking algae disk every second/third day.

I have a separate tank with 9 Guppies and the guy at the fish shop said Guppies clean their gut every 20 minutes?! Do they need more food? I give them some food every day (try to vary it between granules, bloodworms and a disk thing I stick on the side) but is that enough/too much?

And if the amonia is at 0.25 - is that really bad? I mean, can fish live in it? I would've thought it was livable but not desirable?

hi joilet.

I will let the others answer about the ammonia as they are more experienced !!!!!!

I feed my guppies twice a day, there is bits about guppies on here

Be aware you will get babies if you have male and female I already have had at least 200 babies.

Hehe

I brought a new 120 litre so hopefully I can have about 50 guppies in there without over crowindin it

From my experience with the ammonia, its not good to have any as it can weaken the fish etc

If you have 0.25 make sure you change your water frequeltnly that will get rid of it cut right down or dont feed for a few days ( i konw not feeding is hard)

Good luck you got the same fish as me !!!

Ammonia should be undetectable. Do a decent waterchange now and keep waterchanging each day until the readings are 0.

So filtration do you have? How long has the tank been set up? What maintenance regime do you have?

Every setup works differently. It is not just the fish and the hardware, but the maintenance, the feeding, everything is different, setup to setup. I don't see how a fish food company could guess how much food should be fed per day like that. Marketing ploy with potentially destructive results :evil:

The old rule of 'ONLY as much as they can eat in a few minutes' still reigns supreme.

But that still also depends on water maintenance. If you do infrequent waterchanges you should do infrequent feeding, and vice versa, or risk the water quality.