Peat Spawning Killies

Guest Cam

I was wondering if amyone could tell me what you have to do with peat spawners? I know you put peat in a container with a hole in a lid and then put the peat in the tank. Then you take the container out when you they've bred and they need to be dried out before they hatch them. So can someone tell me how long you need to keep them in the peat for and stuff like that.

There should be salt in the tank all the time @ 1tp per 4 to 5lt.

Oh just five things about Notho's...

For the most part they're not difficult if you follow the rules,

having there own tank for best results is one of the rules.

1tp of salt per 4 - 5lt for best results is another.

feed them well on meaty foods for best results is another.

keep the water clean for best results is another.

See where I'm going, really hard A.

" keep the water clean for best results is another. "

probably the least important

They need the water to be brown and if you can feed mainly live foods, its less important to do weekly water changes. In the wild they live in dirty pools that dry up in summer but as Stu aludes to, over feeding can polute the water and kill them off

Everyone has their own way but I found they did best if the males and females were seperated and conditioned for a couple of weeks then spawned for a week but you need to do what works for you. Many people are put off by the time you have to store the eggs but if you get organized in a few months you can have heaps of them and more coming. They are the original instant fish.

Clean = biologically, For best results.

There is validity to your comment Alanmin.

The 2 week thing may be excessive though.

Scientists in the States use Notho. guentheri as a lab animal, this is because they understand it very well.

It has been found if a female is feed well as a matter of cause she will ovulate a full compliment of eggs every morning with in the first 2-3 hours after lights on / sun up.

After which time she can choose to breed.

It has been found that if a single female is then place in a tank with a male (or the other way around) she is capable of releasing all her eggs in a hour.