Urgent help for my axolotl

puttputt

help, my daughers axolotl was this morning covered in tuffy type fungus (I think). He looks teerible, and I have no idea how to help.

The filter was accidently turned off for 3-4 days, so his water obviously deteriorated, and we have done some large water changes, but what can I treat it with, hoping that its not too late!!

You could also try some Melafix in the water, running an airstone to ensure the water is well aerated and putting frozen soft drink bottles of water into the tank if the fridge is tricky, I think the fridge would slow the fungus down but possibly not cure it? Just my opinion as I've never used the fridge method although I've heard it certainly helps. Hope it survives, good luck.

Rebecca

i had a similar problem when my little girl got eaten by the bigger one (not that much bigger)

i used mythanol blue in the water and kept her by herself. i did daily water changes and eventually it went away.

i have never tried the fridge trick.

i has lost 1 axie to a fungus infection before but it was really bad she had the growth all over her back and frills. :cry:

puting the axie in the fridge with 100% daliy water changes is the best option fill water bottles and keep in fridge to use for changes as the water temp will be the same as long as the axie is eating ok you can keep it in fridge for as long as possible have a look at the axolotl fourm at axolotl.org there is some great info on there about how to deal with fungus

well, mustards in the fridge, had a salt bath first and is now cooling down, put another container in fridge with good water to change him into after each salt bath, and a container with premixed salt for his next bath - all so the are the same temp, and he wont be shocked with big swings in temp.

fingers crossed.

My daughters hd him for 6yrs, so I'm glad he's coming right too.

Thanks to you guys!!, still very funny having him in the fridge, both my girls still cant work it out, heard the oldest (the owner) talking to him when he was having a salt bath this morning " poor musty, are you all cold and freezing"