Finally the nano is up (lots of pics)

phoenix44

Its taken me aaggeeessss for me to do this so here goes.

the tank is a 22L nano. got a hang on filter with a 200 watt fluval heater near the intake of the filter so it is hidden.

the theme of the tank is red. The gravel is pure laterite - I'm still waiting on my red sand to come in - its been about a 3 week wait!

Soaked bricks form the back wall of the tank, with a juwel rock background I got given that rises out of the tank so I can at some stage get some plants to grow on top of the tank (was thinking of a peace lilly or something).

Current inhabitants are 3 bumblebee gobies (acclimatised to freshwater but i always put salt in my tanks) and phoenix my golden fighter. Eventually I will be putting 3 (maybe a few more) cardinals in the tank as well.

The temp is at a constant 25.9C.

The plants in this tank will be the current Java fern - looking at getting some more if i can grow it. There is also a sprig of dwarf val in the RHS front corner. possibly anubias as well. Ive seen a nice piece of marbled anubias I liked.

DSC03668Large.jpg

DSC03669Large.jpg

DSC03676Large.jpg

DSC03674Large.jpg

DSC03671Large.jpg

DSC03678Large.jpg

there cant be much water with all those bricks in ?? i would cut back on bricks and go for more plants imo also why is light only on half the tank ,and you can see the heater very well , i can see the effect you are trying to acheive , i would use one brick and break it into smaller bits , i am not dissing it , just trying to help 8)

i just moved house so cant find any of my stuff. the light will be over the whole tank eventually when i find the braces for it. There is about 15 - 18 L of water in the tank, the bricks are thinner than the big ones, lol.

I did break some bricks (i got some and broke them to see the effect) but i decided that i preferred the smooth underwater world look (if you know what i mean, lol) like a lost city or something. ha ha.

how could i cover the heater? Im arranging for a thin piece of brick cut to cover the heater ... maybe i could just shove some java fern in there and hope it grows.

i can grow almost all plants but no luck with java fern :cry: so this tank in part is a mission to grow that wretched plant. someone suggested turning the lights off cause i usually overkill with the lights.

:o

I'd rather not create a mini sump LOL.

come to think of it the heater could v. easily fit behind the bricks... hmm.. that's an idea, but really - its not an eye sore is it?

when you look at the tank in person it is barely noticeable but then again the fact that it is visible will cause me many a sleepless night ha ha ha.

hows your nano coming along?

Tank looks cool good work :)

Good luck on breeding the cardinals there are quite a few articles on the subject including a good one on the fnzas site somewhere.. I think the main problem was fish getting older and egg bound from not spawning, so don't wait too long before trying to breed them.

ha ha spot on! lol.

i didnt want to spend more money on the tank so i used my extra 200W heater on it. the heater's minimum level is well under water - will it still potentially pose a problem?

Id rather spend a little money now rather than cry over spilled fish lol.

(not to mention dealing with spilled water and an angry landlord) :lol:

to make matters worse, the tank is on a warehouse chip board book shelf :o

as far as they know; the heater is in there but not on. my fish do not need a heater in summer apparently :o :lol:

Apparently is right - doesn't mean it will be hot enough over Summer to remove the heaters - I didn't last year.

Too many bricks and not enough room for the fish.

well if you make a big enough sump you can filter other tanks as well just join them together with plumbing?? Haha my (Amy) mum thinks my Discus tank doesn't need heating in the summer...I tell her the two 300W heaters aren't on :D

new house new room. the 4 footer is now in the lounge so everyone can look at it, and this nano is in my lille room. i won't be putting more stuff in it so won't need more filtration - the hang on filter is on the lowest setting cause it really churns the water quite a bit, lol.

I will actually do many water changes on this tank unlike the 4 footer which usually gets it once a month - if i feel like it. advantage of a jungle tank i guess ha ha.