2nd hand laptops??

imsweet

Wanting to get a 2nd hand laptop mainly for watching dvd's and playing games when in car, wet days camping etc. Probably never be connected to the net but may be for assignments next year when studying. Questions are: what types are ok? I know nothing about them really. Obviously i need a dvd type. What else should i be looking for? theres a few cheap ones on the net 4 sale but all the jargon gets confusing and i dont want a lemon. Thought about a portable dvd player but the screens are so small. any advice or hints?? Thanks :bow:

Hmmm, I wont be much help with types and specs

But keep in mind the battery life of older laptops (ie it can be crappy). You wouldn't want to start watching your DVD in the car only to find out the battery life of your laptop is only an hour :wink:

You can however buy new laptop batteries as well, so check that out when looking at brands/models 8)

sony viao, toshiba and asus make great laptops. dell (not the XPS - those are great), compaq, and all the others are ok in comparison - based on what I have seen and compared.

did you have a model in mind - or better even did you see a lappy that you liked, and what is the max. you are willing to spend?

No particular model in mind as they all look the same to me. I dont really know whats a far price either.... under $100? would be nice. i understand you get what you pay for and i have been asking sellers if theyre ok for my use. one said good for dvd but only ok for games and not fast ones? dont really understand that.

No particular model in mind as they all look the same to me. I dont really know whats a far price either.... under $100? would be nice. i understand you get what you pay for and i have been asking sellers if theyre ok for my use. one said good for dvd but only ok for games and not fast ones? dont really understand that.

What kind of games do you play?

Games take more processing grunt to power, so they can go slow. Depending on how important playing games are to you, maybe you should look at getting a portable DVD player?

umm :lol: the games are for our daughter and other kids. the portable dvd screens are too small for a group to watch really.

our telly in the caravan doesnt have the ports for a dvd player to be plugged in otherwise i'd just get one of those.

thats why i thought of a laptop, can be taken in the car, used in the caravan when it's raining, the kids can play games on it without using this computer ... that sort of thing.

Maybe replace the telly for the caravan, and get a handheld Tetris to keep the kids entertained in the car ;)

Yeah, hubby wants a flat screen so it takes up less space. :roll: one of his mates brought a 19" for $200 recently. This is what has started it all.