It's a boy!... it is now ayway

Jenna

I had heard of swords changing sex, but a couple of my mollies are in the process of doing the same!

This batch of lyretails was born beginning of August and all (yes all) surviving fry were female. The two adult males have been having a great time impregnating as many as possible lately, and many of the 17 or so younger ones are starting to look familiarly plump.

But suddenly there are 2 more males in there than there were before - 2 of the younger ones now have definite gonopodiums, and seem to be having fun exercising them too :o

Fortunately the 2 who seem to be changing DON'T seem to be pregnant - how confusing would THAT be :-?

So has anyone else had mollies changing sex?

• 3 months later...

i just noticed i have a new male too i wonder if it will be sterile like the original male (lyretail/sailfin cross) its certainly gunna look interesting when its sailfin develops as it has a lyretail as well it would have only been male for a week

yeh they do look like females when they are younger but if they have been fully grown then it could be possible. I know that this can happen to marine fish when there is a poor ratio. Makes sence that tropicals can do the same. I have never had this happen to me but pritty cool to hear it happen lol!