metal halides

spoon

i now have 2 100w metal halides over my euroveiw 90 as well as 2x20w flouros my question is how long should these be on for during the day(to be fair on the fish they are rather bright!) also as the bulbs were intended for use as lighting sources for large rooms and i have no idea how old they are i am wondering if they lose useful light output like fluoros? im happy with the 'colour temperature" of the bulb but is there anething speacially made for aquariums (not marine) or can i just get the "cool white" equilavelent if i need to replace the bulbs ? i am aware that new bulbs are expensive if ane1 could point in the right direction for 100w edison screw MH (not double ended but rather encased in aother bulb if ane1 knows what i mean)

Somewhere around 9-12 hours would be about right. You're not using them to grow plants from the sound of it? So it's really not critical, just set them for whenever is convenient.

I don't think there are any 100w aquarium bulbs, it's not a standard size used in the hobby afaik. Cool white should work fine, it's purely aesthetic.

About 6 hours, might just have to see how they go and adjust if need be.

Just call them single ended, should be able to get them in diff temps from Rexel, you can use my acct if you want a better price, just pm me.

thanks i rung rexel only have 3000k and 4200k in 100w @ $97+gst trade!

i think i will make do with waht i have got and see how i go

You mean a bluer light.:) As far as aesthetics the color temp of lights is mostly up to personal preference, in marines higher kelvin tends to match the color spectrum you would see in the ocean more. In freshwater...I think yellower lower color temp looks better. Most tropical rivers are muddier and more yellow or brown colored so the yellow lighting I think looks more appropriate.