Kaiwharawhara Stream

Stella

I was in Wgtn on the weekend visiting my father. We went for a walk up Kaiwharawhara Stream (starting at the 'detritus collector' and heading upstream to the first footbridge).

Nice area, but some fairly exhaustive rock-turning turned up no fish :( (I thought you guys said it was a good spot?) I did see a few dark shapes moving very quickly upstream, maybe five total, and about five inches long. Not schooling or anything. Couldn't get a good enough look to guess what they were, but they were stocky. Could have been bullies, but could have been anything else too!

And for the VERY FIRST TIME in my native fish hunting career, I completely lost my footing and landed in the stream!! Those who know me can testify that I am incredibly poorly balanced and good at slipping, so that this was the first time is a minor miracle.

At the furthest point we got to I found a hole in the stream that had a large rock wrapped around it... (Dad thinks it was probably bored through to lay explosives, quite old as the hole was smoothed by the water).

Of course we just HAD to bring it home... it will grace his garden in some way now.

2008_11_15Boulder008Large.jpg

But really, what I want to know, is where on this stream IS good for fish?

It does look like an excellent sit for spotlighting.... many large easy-access areas with shallow fine gravel and minimal water turbulence..

LOL I want the aquarium that the rock would not look over-sized in! ;)

(you should see the number of large rocks littering my lounge.... tis getting ridiculous)

The cameraman (my father's partner) had one brief go at carrying the rock, then she decided it was a job best left for the clearly insane father-daughter team!

Preacher: Sorry, it was a kinda spontaneous thing. I was supposed to be spending some quality time with my father, so didn't want to schedule in other things, then he suggested we visit the stream...

I am *very* keen to come down again and go hunting with you guys though :)

Ira: yeah, the rock had a hole in it.... just the *important* bit was the hole... like Lifesavers mints... they are a hole with a mint around them. ;)

Dad thinks it was bored for putting explosives in. Certainly was pretty old as the water had smoothed it.