how long can a tank stay in storage?

diver21

as above, been looking at buying a few extra tanks and ive come across a few people selling theirs after the tanks have been in storage for 2 years, just wondering if they will still be fine or would the silicone of gone off and started to crack/not be water tight

Depends really on the conditions they were stored in, and what they were like before they were stored (condition/age). If they got really hot or were in direct sunlight, they'd be more likely to be dodgy.

Keep in mind though that silicone lasts about 10yrs easy. If they were already 10yrs old when they were stored, they'd be more likely to leak. If they were new, that's a different story.

They're pretty easy to re-silicone though if you wanted to try that route.

I'm using a tank that sat under the house for maybe 20 years. 4 foot. I just siliconed an extra strip of glass across the top for extra support, filled it up outside till it was overflowing and left it for a week to make sure it had no leaks, gave a good look at the silicone joints, all good and now I've been using it for several months with no prob's. I have two 6 foots that I've been storing for a few years now that I plan on using..... eventually, that I'm not too worried about either.

Windows, most of the time, aren't under anywhere near the strain the silicone in a fishtank is.

But...I still agree.:P

windows also dont have the same amount (or lack of) silicone on them but they are load bearing and need higher standards to fish tanks belive it or not.

Look at the Fay-Richwhite building in Queen St... 40 odd floors with the entire outside cladding being glass and siliconed in.... been there 25 years roughly

windows also dont have the same amount (or lack of) silicone on them but they are load bearing and need higher standards to fish tanks belive it or not.

Look at the Fay-Richwhite building in Queen St... 40 odd floors with the entire outside cladding being glass and siliconed in.... been there 25 years roughly

Plus they have constant UV on them

Office blocks... fish tanks... battery hen farms... all the same really.

(Can you tell I'm having a bad day at the office?)