Betta Genetics

Peter McLeod

I am sure there are other strains out there that would not only be able to maintain the quality of your stock,but possibly even improve upon it.Bringing new blood in could be a good thing(look at the Brittish Royal family :lol: )

David

It is difficult in NZ to obtain good quality breeding stock.The quarantine facilities down here are all privately owned and do not deal with the public, beleive me I have tried with both fighters and line bred guppies.It is simply not economical for them to deal with the public and do one off orders.They import their fish in bulk usually from asia-Singapore.All I can do is hope someone else in NZ has some decent fish or just find the best imported ones I can.

I do think though it might be my only option to solve certain problems.Like you said I can keep crossing my own fish the way I have and try some new blood to see what happens.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

I have some green fighters from Peter which I am intending to breed. They have great colour which I'd like to keep but I want to lenghten the dorsal fin along the back more. I have a female with a long dorsal fin which is a solid deep blue which I got from breeding a double tail with a double tail gene carrier. I hope everyone knows what I mean. What are everyones thought on using double tails to lenghten the dorsal fin. Also what do you think the likley colour result will be when breeding a luminess green to a deep flat blue.

From Peter

I read your post, the Green fighters I gave you have two parents that were both the longer dorsal types but none of the fry have it.I just asumed it was a recesive gene and if I bred two of them together they would produce all longer dorsal fish.The origional female I started my fish off with was a blue double tail.

• 4 months later...

I have finally been able to fix the double tailed fighters.I got about 15% of my last hatch of my blues.Varaing degrees of colour from blue, Steel blue and green.All are healthy and 2 months old.Very impresive even at this age.The longer dorsal combined with the double tail seems to spread the fins out and make the fish look much larger.

From what I found out you need to have the double tail as well as the longer dorsal on the same gene, otherwise neither will work.

Peter

From Peter

From what I have read (and experienced) the double tail gene is recessive but what I have found is that single tails carring the D/T gene will show a longer dorsal fin. Here is a link to a page which shows the different genetic probabilities. http://www.bettasrus.com/bcorner/dt.htm