Moving

Disneyworld

Hi All,

The time is crawling near that disneyworld has to move again, the current house leaks like a tank :-? - in the past I would take my fish family to the local shop and donate them. As the shops don't appear to pay for fish this became an expensive exercise: give the fish back, mature the tank in your new home, and buy new fish and plants. :roll: Does anyone in the Wellington area have a "fostertank" they can keep fish in for a week? What do other people do when they move house?

What sort of filter do you have disneyworld? If you still have just the smaller fish like guppies, I would keep them in a spare plastic container (a bucket or barrel perhaps) with the heater and filter running in it. They will survive a week. That way when you set the tank up again you won't have to cycle it, if the tank isn't overstocked. You will get a mini cycle, depending on how much water you can save but if you can keep the filter running it will be easy.

Good luck with the shift.

i move peoples tanks all the time and what i do is i have big 20l bins and i put most of the water into those and then take the gravel and put it in a few (depending on the size of the tank) move that tank and set it back up asap, if you cant do it fast turn the heater down put it in the bin and put the filter in and you have time to breath, DONT WASH THE GRAVEL OR FILTER!!! and set the tank back up, just dont feed the fish to much for a few days and you should be fine, sometimes you might need to put white spot cure in just to be sure. oh and cycle works well to.

happy moving,

your lps should hire out a tank if you go there alot as i have done that.

Hi-Disneyworld- Like Kim I have used a 20lt bucket when moving or having to do tank re-builds. At one point I had to keep the fish in the bucket for about 10 days due to circumstances and didn't lose any fish and there would have been around 40 fish. Providing you keep the water aerated, change a little water every so often and don't feed too much you should have no problems.

Regards Gordon

I find using a chilly bin works well cause it is insulated and also it has a nice fitting lid so minimizes splashes wwhen carting them around. As kim said move the tank to the new place first and set it up then move the rest of the furniture. Fish have priority :wink: