Has any one tried..........

Lucid

Just wondering if anyone has tried constructing a tank with smoked glass, does this make it too dark to view the inside of the tank and most importantly wil it reduce the amount of algae growth.

any comments or thoughts( or personal experiance) would be appreciated before I go and price out the glass.

Hi-Ballistic. Smoked glass wiil cut down the amount of external light from the windows etc. However the front and top would have to be clear to view the fish and allow light from the top. You could use it on the sides as well but I don't think you would get the aesthetic effect unless you had the correct lighting. From experience the best practice is to use the smoked glasss on the bottom and the back. I would assume the glass is thicker than normal eg 10ml?

Regards Gordon.

we make tanks to order and have made lots with smoked glass back and sides , it does help if you have a light room, also you can get black , blue,green coloured glass for the tanks, when we do colour backs we sometimes have to buy of cuts of glass as its not cheep.

black glass on the back looks great.