hi my male is not making a bubble nest

Matto

hi my male has been in a divided tank for about 3 weeks ago and there is a female is in another section of the tank so he can see her .their is a ploy cup in the tank and he is not making a bubble nest .so i put a different female into the tank sitting in a divider but he is not interested in her what is going on ?

help me .

thanks

Hi Matto. I'm currently flicking through a book 'Aquarium Care of Bettas' by David E. Boruchowitz, which has this to say on the subject......

Quote..."The males bubblenest is a vital and distinctive part of the spawning process but males vary greatly on the details........Some nests are loose and scattered, while others are dense, rising 2.5cm or more out of the water. Large nests may almost cover the surface of the tank, while small ones may be tucked away tightly in a corner. Some males will build virtually no nest at all and still be successful........Many breeders find that something floating will soon have a nest built under it...........University investigations have shown that males prefer something that is round, about the size of a Grapefruit, and yellow in colour.......these characteristics correspond with dead leaves"....End quote

HTH :)

I had a similar problem as well, why don't you try using leaves? Personally I just grabbed some leaves off my maple tree in the garden and it must trigger some sort of natural environment instinct for them.. I've also noticed that feeding bloodworms helps as well..

HTH!

Just reading an interesting site that mentioned females flirting with the male. Apparently, the females, if keen, tend to have vertical stripes instead of the horizontal ones so commonly seen. News to me! :wink:

Horizontal - scared

Vertical - ready!

However apparently females never lose their horizontal stripe tendencies but males do.