lead sinkers ok?

imsweet

dont really know where to post this but i was wondering if many ppl use lead sinkers to weight things down... driftwood etc. I have and told someone and they were really against it... lead in the water blah blah. Its only been a couple of months and i'm hoping the piece will be waterlogged soon and can remove them. Had it weighted with large stones but they kept getting knocked off. (weird shape)

I personally don't like adding any kind of metal to my tank and don't trust those weights they use for plants. They do usually contain a type of coating too that will flake off. I always remove them before planting anything into the tank. You can sometimes find plastic "anchors" for plants, but they can be hard to come by.

I frequently have a lot of lead in tanks holding plants and have never had a problem. Lead is not very reactive and therefore does not go into solution easily. The old lead used for ridge flashings is not coated when new and that is what I use. The new lead flashing is coated because lead is not compatable with zincalume, but the coating is protect the lead from contact with the zincalume and will also be OK.