blue tounges really this time

snake kid

I've been saving and doing masses of chores selling my stuff on trademe for absolutly ages (before I joined this forum just before the start of this year) to get some sort of animal that would be a very cool pet I was thinking about a bearded dragon but have decided I want a blue tounge lizard (please don't make suggestions on other animals I have decided)

so what I was planning was to get a bare 200 litre fish tank and put in the other things in from there but I have know idea what other things will need to go in there please be helpfull :D

a checklist of thing I need would be helpfull

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

you will need:

1 water dish

1 basking lamp

1 rock to hide under

1 pig lamp (heat lamp that dose not give off light)

1 feeding dish

maybe heat matt if you like

substrates (sand,bark or wood chips)

and a uvb light.

o and of coarse the blueys :P

Um food may help quite abit

some computer geek once promised me a robotic attack centipede :D , but alas he is too far away to bug enough that it will ever happen :(

but in the theoretical model it would be solar powered = recharge in a sunny patch.

in some respects lizards are solar powered = need to warm up to get going, but theres still that fuel issue :)

how about sand as a substrate where could I get some suitable for a terrrium (and don't say the beach. beach sand is filled with parasites)

Heat it up in the oven then :roll:

Bark would also absorb urine

Use builders sand(make sure is doenst have much salt in it) or small rocks from the garden center

please don't use sand for your substrate. They ingest too much of it and run the risk of becoming impacted. I have recently changed mine off the sand after testing fecal sample, came back with a high sand content. Also a mate who has a bluey nearly lost hers the other day due to the same problem. I originally used newspaper until he was 6 months old and that was practical enough. They have now been upgraded to nice outdoor carpet that looks very cool

oh and I would not go with a heat pad either as it can lead to thermal burns on their bellies. heat bulbs are great, and maybe some wood underneath the bulb so they can warm themselves up on that. Infrared bulbs are good for lizards as the rays penetrate deep beneath the scales.

if you can find specific reptile carpet in nz then go for that. So far I have not seen it. I found some soft outdoor carpet at para rubber. it is a short weave so they can't munch it.

not too expensive when you only need like a metre of it. actually probably cheaper than trying to fill up a tank with some of that special reptile sand.

important things you will need to control will be diet, heat gradient and lighting.

Diet: lots of variety. no iceberg lettuce. majority of their diet will end up being vege. remember your supplements.

Heat: make sure there is a cool side and a warm side. A thermostat is really helpful to have running so you can be confident it is always in the right range.

Lighting: Need reptile, UVB bulbs. Don't have bulbs placed more than 30-40 cm away from where lizard is. Replace once every 6-12months

I spoke to a breeder recently who uses sand and rekons they love it and they might as they seem to love digging but im not convenced, call me paranoid but its just an obvious risk not worth taking imo so ive gone to artificial grass for now as its safe as and easy to clean, just provide some sorta hide tunnel cave things and they seem happy as larry or even a peace of newspaper they like curling up in/under

bunnings/mitre 10, even the warehouse sell the artificial grass (outdoor carpet) and its not woven so they cant get claws caught in it, you even get a choice of colour :)

i still may try em on sand but if i do it will prob be half sand half carpet/tiles for feeding on etc but long term outdoor setups especially over summer :wink:

p.s they love snails to :P