Nano reef

tinytawnykitten

Stability is the key to keeping a marine tank. The smaller the tank the faster water parameters will change, so if your planning on keeping much more than a hardy fish or two and very hardy soft corals a nano will be a lot more difficult than say a 4 foot tank.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

+1 to Suphew.

I've contemplated having a small 50L nano tank. Basic rundown of costs would have it under $1000 for the setup. I'd use a dosing-pump (3L/hour) for auto-topup set on a timer pulling from a 2.25L coke bottle. Use some small T8s (2x Dual T8 30cm tubes) would be more than enough light for a small tank. Small atman pump (400LPH) would create sufficient flow.

Plumbing to a sump with a decent skimmer would be ideal. Again a skimmer for a small tank prob run you from $100-$800 depending on brand.

While not keeping corals, I do keep baby marine fish in small 30L tanks. These tanks are only filled with about 15L of water and have dual T8 only the top. Evaporation is about 1 cup/day.

I have decided to do a LOT more reading and saving up before embarking on this. The mere fact that much of this thread is like another language to me signals that I am not ready for this! I think I might like to save up for a Red Sea Max perhaps but for a tank that size I would need to sell up my cichlids and I am in no way ready for that! Thanks so much for all your replies though!

Hmm yeah I would love to buy it but it is above my budget at the moment and I don't have the space anywhere where there is a wooden floor, and I am not game to have it on the new carpet (you may have seen my other thread about my carpet being replaced by insurance thanks to a large methylene blue spillage)

Hmm yeah I would love to buy it but it is above my budget at the moment and I don't have the space anywhere where there is a wooden floor, and I am not game to have it on the new carpet (you may have seen my other thread about my carpet being replaced by insurance thanks to a large methylene blue spillage)

You wouldn't use methylene blue in a marine tank :D