I'm thinking about getting an Oscar / s

Vinnie

My girl friend and I are thinking on getting a Oscar each but only know little about them.

I know they need a very big tank and if it fits in there mouth they will eat it (other fish).

If anyone has any info they could share, or links for info on Oscar's, and how to take good care of there needs that would be great :bow:

We have one we are selling, they are awesome fish but we have changed tanks etc. They grow fast but are like little Dogs, love attention. (Mainly if you have the one, if you have 2, they not as interactive we have been told)

Contact Tracey on here, she knows heaps about them and owns them. :)

They are very messy fish and love rearranging the substrate so plants are out as they are quickly destroyed.

As you noted, a large tank (250L minimum) is needed and very good filtration. You will also have to be prepared to do frequent water changes as well.

Best to keep as much equipment as possible outside of the tank or they will break it - particularly heaterstats! An under tank heat pad would be a good consideration, or the more expensive non-glass heaterstats. You can get guards for the glass ones but oscars are good at destroying them, despite the covering.

They will eat just about anything and like variety. I know of one who loved bananas and would eat half a banana per day, along with other foods, both meat and vegetable.

Some people like to give their oscars toys to play with. A ping pong ball for instance.

Most owners say their oscars recognise them and come to meet them when they approach the tank. The one who ate bananas would continually bash his head on the end of the tank when his owner entered the room until she spoke to him, then he would happily swim off again.

They are fish with character!

Cool, thanks for that info. I'm now thinking of getting a 400 liter tank which will be good for them for a few years until I upgrade. But need to finish current tank i'm working on before I do anything on this (yay saltwater project all most done)