Pond Bugs

Tsarmina

:roll:

Water Boatmen of New Zealand are non-predatory, dining on aquatic plants and algae instead of insects and vertebrates.

They use their straw-like mouthparts to inject saliva into plants.

The saliva digests the plant material, allowing the water boatman to suck the liquefied food back through their mouthparts and into their digestive tract.

A few species of water boatmen are predatory, but the majority are herbivorous. New Zealand ones however, are not predatory.

Damselfly nymphs are carnivorous, feeding on daphnia, mosquito larvae, and various other small aquatic organisms but usually not fish.

thanks people. time to go on a bug hunt and kill the little sods. that last thing i want is to lose my small supply of daphnia

pictures tsarmina in wetsuit and mini speargun hunting down those dreaded boatmen :D

2 types of boatmen Water-boatman (Arctocorisa arguta) and Back-Swimmer (Anisops wakefieldi), they swim by the rowing action of their back legs. The back-swimmer swims on its back, the water-boatman swims uppermost. Both are carnivores and feed on insect and other animal life in the water. Mosquito larvae form a large part of their diet.

pictures tsarmina in wetsuit and mini speargun hunting down those dreaded boatmen :D

2 types of boatmen Water-boatman (Arctocorisa arguta) and Back-Swimmer (Anisops wakefieldi), they swim by the rowing action of their back legs. The back-swimmer swims on its back, the water-boatman swims uppermost. Both are carnivores and feed on insect and other animal life in the water. Mosquito larvae form a large part of their diet.

Water boatmen and Back swimmers are completely different. However, they are both in the Hemiptera order of insects which has around 80,000 species of cicadas, aphids, stink bugs (the ones the STINK when you're doing your gardening) and other certain beetles. There are over 500 known species of water boatmen in the world. Over 90% of these are herbivores! I realise you got your information from here;

http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/W/Water-boatman/Water-boatman/en

But I still dissagree with this! haha call me stubborn but I'm yet to see NZ water boatmen eat anything more than plant matter!

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers.