Killie Virgin

lmsmith

So, I just discovered killies today. I've never seen one in real life, and until I say cichlid7's pics, I seem to have been totally oblivious.

Is there someone who can give me a basic overview of killies?

Where they come from?

Where can you buy them from?

How many types/species/colours are there?

What they eat?

Ideal tank size?

pH and other water perimeters?

Breeding - ease, where they lay their eggs (I guess they lay eggs?) etc

Any other information that's pertinent to them?

Pics are always good :P

Where they come from?

all over the world are different forms and specie

Where can you buy them from?

Not too many shops have Killis as not many shops know much about them and the choose to only hear the lesser things

How many types/species/colours are there?

Thousands.... and I do mean thousands

What they eat?

Prefer live foods as a lot of fish do but I feed mine mainly live white worm and frozen blood worm. Others feed flake but as I breed all the time, prefer livies and bloods

Ideal tank size?

I know of some that keep them in AG jars (overseas). I keep mine in 250 x 250 x 280high and 300 x 300 x 300 tanks. For my spare males, I keep them in 600 (L) x 300 x 300

pH and other water perimeters?

They are pretty easy to be honest... I do prefer mine to be kept at 6.5 to 7 though

Breeding - ease, where they lay their eggs (I guess they lay eggs?) etc

Not too many are hard to breed (gesh, I can breed them so they must be easy) and will breed in mops and peat. In general mop spawners hatch in 10 to 21 days but peat spawners can take up to 26 weeks. Just think, you put in some dirt (boiled peat) and a couple of weeks later remove the peat and dry it. 3 to 6 months down the track you wet the peat and fry arrive 3 to 48 hours later

Any other information that's pertinent to them?

ask away

Pics are always good

as TM said, look at the links. Here in NZ we have about 30 specie but at the moment, Im contacting some old breeders to see if they have any old peat around as the eggs can often hatch well over 3 years after they have been laid

How big are they

The smallest I have is the clown Killi (P. Annulatus) which grows to about 25mm long and the largest I have is about 110mm long. The King Killi (Sjo)( I can get you the scientific name if you want but cant remember the spelling here at work)

and how long do they live?

Killis that we have here in NZ can very in life span.

Some live from 3 to 18 moths and other to 3 or 4 years. In general, the more you feed the quicker they grow and breed but also dont live as long. Peat spawners are in general shorter lived as in the wild, the pools they live in dry up totally in summer and the dont breath air

:wink: These are called annuals. They are prone to velvert and you should add salt to the water at a rate of 1teaspoon per 4 letres which helps in the prevention. I have had these peat spawners (Nothos) breeding in 4 weeks so I always have plenty of eggs ready to wet if I need them. Quite a few shops have the wrong idea about killis and think they are all short lived but I have a lot that are 18 months and older. There are huge verations in colour and shapes of different specie.

they are bad jumpers

You can say that again :roll:

I had one male who tried to leave the tank....twice. Both times he was discovered in time luckily!

But if there's a gap in the tank lid - they find it and out the hop.

Great fish though - the male always "attacked" me whenever I put him hand/arm into the tank - I'm sure he couldn't have mistaken me for food....but I'd certainly get a fright each time - little rascal.

They're neat fish with great personalities :)