Kinder Surprise - great toy for fish!

whetu

I got to eat the chocolate, but my fish got the little plastic egg-thing from the middle of the Kinder Surprise. After removing the toy I punched some holes in the egg with a nail, put a marble in to make it sink, put flake food inside then dropped it in the tank.

As soon as it sank the fish were all over it trying to get at the flakes. They took about an hour to eat the same quantity of food that would usually be gone in five minutes. And everyone had a go - loaches, barbs and bristlenoses.

At the end of the hour I took the container out and opened it, and the fish had managed to get every last fraction of a flake out of it.

I believe in making my fish work hard for their dinner, so this was just the ticket. (And entertained me as a bonus.) :lol:

I'm off to get a Kinder Surprise for breakfast.....it sounds like fun. There is a dog toy/feeder thing you can get that works on the same principle and apparently they use the same kind of thing to make captive primates do a little bit of thinking to get their food.

I'm off to get a Kinder Surprise for breakfast.....it sounds like fun. There is a dog toy/feeder thing you can get that works on the same principle and apparently they use the same kind of thing to make captive primates do a little bit of thinking to get their food.

Yeah that was what gave me the idea. Years ago I had a friend who had a kunikuni pig and she used to put those dried catfood biscuits in a ball with holes in it. The pig used to push the ball around with his nose to make the biscuits fall out through the holes.

Actually I think the fish like to make their pet human so some thinking. I'm always looking for new challenges to keep the fishes' lives interesting. Sometimes I wonder who's in charge around here! :lol:

What a great idea! :)

I suggest you write it up (with photos) for the mag ;)

That's a good idea Stella. It would be a very short write-up (in fact it would say exactly what I said above) but a pic could make it a bit more interesting.

How and to whom do I submit an article?

Good on you Whetu!! :) Caryl needs all the help she can get for the mag!

Write it up as a word doc and send it to her. Can't remember if her email is listed in her profile, otherwise just PM her.

(Not sure if you are a paid-up member, if not you get a free copy of each mag you have an article in)

Have you kept using the kinder surprise egg? Are they learning any tricks to get it out faster? Have you tried food other than flake?

My cat loves kinder surprise casing too :D

I have lots of them lying around the house, and he has fun playing soccer with them. And he jumps really high for them too 8)

Mine too - my tortie loves it and smacks it all over the place - unfortunately it's frequently lost and haven't been seen for yonks.

Great idea Whetu - might have to get a kinder surprise and create one of these :)

Good on you Whetu!! :) Caryl needs all the help she can get for the mag!

Write it up as a word doc and send it to her. Can't remember if her email is listed in her profile, otherwise just PM her.

(Not sure if you are a paid-up member, if not you get a free copy of each mag you have an article in)

Have you kept using the kinder surprise egg? Are they learning any tricks to get it out faster? Have you tried food other than flake?

Thanks Stella - I'm not a paid-up member so I will look forward to receiving my first ever magazine! Writing an article is a small price to pay for that privilege!

I've been experimenting with the egg over the last few days. Nutrafin micro granules work really well in it. And the naughty bristlenoses have learned how to get more than their fair share! Their sucking power gives them an unfair advantage because they just latch their mouths over one of the holes and SLLLUUURRPP out all the food. Now they've got me thinking again how I can foil them...

I have been away for 10 days so just catching up on all the posts!

An article, no matter how short, would be appreciated whetu, along with pics. My email is in my profile (or the button at the bottom of my posts).

I found 4 PM notifications but only 1 message in my inbox so I wonder if you have sent it as a PM but I haven't received it?