Discus Fungus Help!!

Jatt16

I just bought a new breeding pair of discus but they are in bad shape. One of them has torn fins that are rotting and both have white spots and little hairs sticking out from the sides. Not sure if this is ich or fungi because never had this problem before and they are on thier own. What medications should i give them. I have put in melafix and methylene blue.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp261/manmeet16/14102008041.jpg>http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp261/manmeet16/14102008042.jpg>http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp261/manmeet16/14102008045.jpg

>http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp261/manmeet16/14102008046.jpga><!-- m -->

pic of spot on male

14102008050.jpg

Another zoomed in Pic of spot on male

Please suggest what i should do

I just bought a new breeding pair of discus but they are in bad shape. One of them has torn fins that are rotting and both have white spots and little hairs sticking out from the sides. Not sure if this is ich or fungi because never had this problem before and they are on thier own. What medications should i give them. I have put in melafix and methylene blue.

14102008041.jpg

Females tail

14102008042.jpg

Fungus on female

14102008045.jpg

Another pic of female tail

14102008046.jpg

zoomed in Pic of spot on male

14102008049.jpg

pic of spot on male

14102008050.jpg

Another zoomed in Pic of spot on male

Please suggest what i should do

Ive found melifix to be totally useless id wait for the furan2 in the meantime tonic salt rock salt or ordinary table salt(as long as theres no non chelating agent) will give them some releif in the meantime 1or 2 Tablespoon per 10g

In defence of he seller shipping is very stressfull on fish and most things that aile our fish are present in small doses and factors such as stress can increace to point that immune systems dont cope.Discus are not renound for their immunity.

At ph of 5.5 and below (natural habitat)bactaria ceases to exist hence low immunity

Medications you should have on hand (and not wait till the fish is sick) when keeping discus are Furan2, Metronidazole, Prazi, rock salt and epsom salt. The rest can all go in the bin because they're a waste of time and money.

Do at least 75% waterchange (with treated water of same temp) before treating with Furan2 and follow instruction on packing. Make sure you do the full treatment.

Tell the fishshop what you want and not let them tell you what you need. If they don't have it go to another shop.

Good Luck,

ron

Looks like anchor worms called Lernia..Thats spots with hairs..Only can be removed by tweesers and put out,I have done many times before..

The tail is most likely parasites that you cant see..Treatment is aquaflavin../ Meth Blue Together.........And plain salt at 1 tsp to 4.5 L

I think it is most likely full of worms as that to can weaken them..i to got a female and found it full of worms that spread to my male and it died as could not handle the worms,shortly after the female to died from the damage done.Even tho i killed the worms {and still have in freezer }the damage was already done..

I stopped importing discus for that main reason they are full of worms as they feed live blood worms from septic waste area's..Also a sorce for just about all diseases that live in water..

I spent a fortune of treatments to clean out so at the end of the day,I will never buy another imported discus again..Just about every where i purchased them from had the same problems..

Yes Discus are not good at handling any sickness or stress..

Even the worming treatments can have them swimming as tho drunk or lying on the bottom for months..But if badly damaged then some just waste away..Or just do the discus trick and refuse to eat......Good luck..

Cheers Phill