Eggs in the nest - Fingers crossed!

1/2waysgood

'K. First time with the s/fighters breeding and so far, so good! I awoke yesterday morning to see my male and female making contact for the first time, and the first few eggs trickling out of her. Naturally, I lay there for an hour or so...... amazing stuff!

ANYhoo, she has since been removed and he is being Mr Protective. However, he doesn't seem to be eating. Is this usual?

Also, there's been a few people here asking as to what possible colour variants there will be with their successful breeds. Can anyone help with mine?

Male - Red with a few lines of blue - typical stuff, really...

Female - Cambodian looking, but with a body more yellow rather than white and orangey-red spots. (Also have her brother who is part crowntail.)

Parents are unrelated! ! !

Sorry, have not set up for the photo thing yet. (lazy, eh?)

OH! And apart from brine shrimp and infusoria, what else can be taken by the fry?

:wink:

First off, :bounce: CONGRATS!! :bounce:

After at least 30 odd successful spawnings under my belt, I still get excited every time I have a pair breeding.

Ok, to answer some of your questions...

Yes it is normal for males to have a small appitite during breeding, it is part of the conditioning to feed up the male aswell as the female. He will be busy protecting his eggs, then he will be busy catching fry and spitting them back into the nest.

Cambodian is a pretty dominant gene, therefore the majority of the fry will have pink bodies, then various shades of red to blue in the finnage. There will still be some dark bodied fry.

Foodwise, greenwater is a good starter, mixed with liquifry to get lots of greeblies in it, the bbs all the way.

Goodluck and keep us posted. :D

Cheers guys!

The babies were out this morning and Mr Fish was doing a great job catching and spitting the babies back up into the nest. Of course, it didn't seem to work so well as the wee blighters kept coming out! :lol:

I noticed quite a number lying on the bottom of the tank so was puzzled for a while. Seemed they'd wiggle around once 'Dad' swooped near while others were darting all over. Introduced some air as I remembered about the whole laberinth thing but am wondering if perhaps I was a little too late for some of the fry?

Do the rest of you add air as soon as the fry are out or are your tanks already circulated for the occassion? I expect a few fatalities but would love to have a decent success rate for a first time breeder of fighters.

Any info is ALWAYS a help! :wink::wink::wink:

You would be extremely unlucky if there are only 3 - ime because the fry are translucent when the egg sack has been absorbed there are mostly likely going to be many many more. Do what a lot of us do and get a manifying glass. Once they start feeding you will see them easier as their tummies will show. My latest spawn is about 4 days now - I thought there weren't many, now the whole tank has specks through it.

7 swimming now.

Where do the poor fathers get the energy!? I mean, the ceaseless up and down, up and down..... Doesn't look like he's eatten over the last 3 days either, what with fixing up the nest and then the little guys breaking free this morning. Guess tomorrow will shine a little more light on the situation. 8)

Desperate to do a water change..... Was gonna do it the day of the 'tangle'. Too late now, I guess. How long should I wait? Until the fry are free swimming?, instead of the up and down..... :roll: ???

(lol)

Water Changes - are a thing of the past for a while. You will need to resort to a very gentle syphon of the muck on the bottom of the tank for several weeks being extremely careful not to suck the fry up, use a very very small tube. Add a very small amount of warm, treated water to replace what you remove.

If you haven't already check out these sites - I find them really good

www.bcbetta.com & www.bettatalk. not sure what the rest of this is.

You will need to work out the best method that suits you but raising fighters, while it is both time and space consuming can be very rewarding.

wise :oops: :oops:

I don't think so,

27 years od fish keeping and 3+ years of fighter breeding still finds me asking questions (some very basic ones too!) of others who may know on this forum or may have suggestions.

IME some times they breed and some times they don't

some times the spawns are huge 300+, some times 1 or even none

some times they grow fast and some times they grow slow

and

some times they are beautiful and some times they are not!!! :lol: :lol:

Things seem to be going well apart from Princeton (the Daddy) still not eatting. I'm a little worried???!! :-?

Think I'll take him out Friday morning, as this evening, there were only a few that he was still tending to. I honestly can't believe that these fish do so much for their young - considering guppies and the like! A M A Z I N G :D .

Still can't see that many scooting around but I guess I'm just grateful that I had the honour to watch something so specacular. Apart from seeing Chin's fantastic fish, the joy must surely be in the experience of breeding. (Purely from a fish lovers view, of course.)

Looking forward to seeing what ratio of male:female I get, plus the colours.

Oh, and interesting point! ! ! Must have had a mozzie larvae hiding (somewhere!) in the tank..... Watched Princeton suck him up and then shoot him into the now (sad) bubblenest. Should have seen the mozzie's proformance! Classic..... :lol: :lol: :wink: