Hastifolia Anubias hastifolia

Johannes Visser

Doesnt quite look like spathipyhlum (spelling) either tho does it?

Peace lillies are palladial plants. Can spend up to 9 or so mths submersed but like hot humid climes. Not really a tank plant and wont real thrive in an aquarium.

Hard to say form those photos.

Navarre

Yep that’s the plant alright

We sometimes get them in, mostly customer order as when we get them in for general sale no one seems to want them... :(

When grown in aquarium it stays much small in particular the stem they shorten up quite a bit

Good for rogue or cichlid tanks as leaves are super tough

But like all anubias slow growing and prone to algae (GSA)

Keep up the potassium levels as most epiphytic plants in the aquarium rely on you to dose this into the water column as they should not be buried in the gravel

Oh by the way HFF Roskill don not sell peace lily/Borneo sword and hasn’t done so in years... :wink:

Great :bounce:

I was thinking - maybe it doesn't need to be completely submersed. I mean the 2 i saw today were about 2 feet high... Let it stick out of the tank. the new leaves will grow submersed and the older leaves will act as cover. perfect for breeding archer fish...

hmmm....

The leaves are really robust - like a money plant almost.

It is likely that it has been grown emersed anyway.

agreed! :bow:

It is so frustrating to find "real" aquatic plants.

Its roots are huge, and looks like it has been sliced off from the base. also the mud it was grown in is still visible on the root. so you're right. it probably has been grown emersed.

will that make a difference to how it grows now that it is underwater?

Have a look at the plantgeek site. It says they are best in a paludarium, which is a polite way of saying they are best emersed in a moist atmoshere. There are a number of anubias sp. and many of them are quite large. I know a person who grows quite a few of the rarer ones and they are all emersed. The rootstock should not be buried and they are generally slow growers so are subject to problems with algae. Having said that I must admit I don't grow them. I tried growing nana emersed but it croaked in my set up ---to dry.