Native marines

Diver

I have finally got a tank for my native marine set-up and now I have a couple questions. Tank dimensions 1.4L * .6H * .5W

(1)

I’m planing on making a DIY hood for the fluoros lights I remember someone saying there is a cheap place to get fittings and bulb in Auckland suitable for marine that are cheaper than a pet store. Also what types of light are recommended and how many, I’m not keeping coral but hopefully I can get seaweed to grow and coralline algae.

(2)

The tank has a sump with a bio tower; I have read that bio towers are not normally needed as the live rock does the job. I’m not sure if I’m going to have enough rock in the tank for this to work so I was wondering if I should fill the tower with small coral pieces.

Any other advice form people that have keep NZ native marines.

Thanks

Diver.

I made some DIY rock that has been sitting in the sea for a couple months so I will uses that if I can find it (wasn’t planning on leaving it there so long). If I can’t find the homemade rock or there isn’t enough I will also uses rock collected while diving.

Hi Diver

What sort of native fish are you planning on keeping? I am in auckland and keep a cold water seahorse tank so if you need any help PM me.

The other reason i ask is because you may have to be wary of the type of fish you get and how you get them. For instance if you are caught with a baby snapper by "you know who" you could get the same fine as a fisherman that has caught and kept a baby (undersized) snapper. Get in contact with mourice from Auckland club. He has researched it a little and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Seahorsemad

P.S if you get seaweed growing would love to here from you.

I’m planning on keeping things like crabs, hermit crabs, triple fins, shrimp, starfish and maybe a leather jacket. I’m not sure if I will try a seahorse as I have a lot of water movement. Some things I may try are sponges, crayfish, octopus and sea slug. If anyone has tried keeping these species any info would be great.

Diver

i have a 5ft tank and is stocked with red anenomies, seaweed,hermits, starfish, mussels, pipis, oysters, 3 fish that hide 25hr a day and lots of snails.

what im after is some shrimp and some small sprats to liven up the tank, any one know where i can find them?

i live rural south auck. i have tried port waikato, awesome sealife but no shrimp or sprats.

dont want to travel too far.

thanx

thanks for the replies,

i went down to the port again, and still no shrimp.

but found a giant purple sea anemome, a bit bigger than a tennis ball.

it is sooo beautiful, gave it a feed of pipi and seems happy.

i got a lifestyle block, so dont have much time to go to the beach regularly,

so the shrimp and sprats are going to have to wait a while, maybe next month.

also have started to build a skimmer from pvc pipe, not sure if i will need it. as i have a lot of filter feeders in the tank. ie mussles and oysters, but will keep an eye on things.

also got a nice little plan for a DIY chiller, using a table fan and wet irrigation pipe, the evaporation method.

should cost less than $100 finished.

cheers

neopole

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gidday all,

I'm on my 3rd local marine tank. Current one is 900l, large sump, skimmer, compact PCs, etc.

Been running for 2 years and is settled nicely. Have good seaweed growth, both a fern type i found at Henderson bay, Nthland and brown types I think from original stock from Muriwai.

Fish in tank currently - Red Moki (2-3 inches), Blue Maumau, Baby Porore, Olive rock fish, Blue cod, Hiwihiwi (started as a 1" baby) now 5", spotty and mottled triplefins. Have had baby snapper but grow to quick and become agressive so stay clear of them now. Also a cray fish, originally from Jansens fry raised stock but now after multiple sheddings, about 7' long. Lots of amenomes, green, pink, purple.

Used limestone as a baserock and Good live rock from Whangaparora, and experience good coraline growth. Plenty of snails and worms and shrimps also in tank. Glass shrimps tend to get eaten (the clever ones last months) but snapping shrimps and the stripped variety (red blue stripes, unsure of correct mane). Also had good sucesss keeping sole and founder but cray fish big enough to catch and devour them now.

Tank is kept in a small air conditioned room in my shed and although water temp still gets to 23/23 degrees in Summer, inhabitants don't mind.

Gidday all,

I'm on my 3rd local marine tank. Current one is 900l, large sump, skimmer, compact PCs, etc.

Been running for 2 years and is settled nicely. Have good seaweed growth, both a fern type i found at Henderson bay, Nthland and brown types I think from original stock from Muriwai.

Fish in tank currently - Red Moki (2-3 inches), Blue Maumau, Baby Porore, Olive rock fish, Blue cod, Hiwihiwi (started as a 1" baby) now 5", spotty and mottled triplefins. Have had baby snapper but grow to quick and become agressive so stay clear of them now. Also a cray fish, originally from Jansens fry raised stock but now after multiple sheddings, about 7' long. Lots of amenomes, green, pink, purple.

Used limestone as a baserock and Good live rock from Whangaparora, and experience good coraline growth. Plenty of snails and worms and shrimps also in tank. Glass shrimps tend to get eaten (the clever ones last months) but snapping shrimps and the stripped variety (red blue stripes, unsure of correct mane). Also had good sucesss keeping sole and founder but cray fish big enough to catch and devour them now.

Tank is kept in a small air conditioned room in my shed and although water temp still gets to 23/23 degrees in Summer, inhabitants don't mind.

Gidday all,

Gidday all,