AQUAONE or JEBO?

Brookey25

Hi everyone,

For anyone who hasn't read my previous posts, I recently adopted a very sick little fish from a diseased tank at my workplace. He's now a very healthy and playful little fish that I want to find a really nice home for. I hope to get him a friend or 2.. but he's quite a big fish (3 years old approx). He currently lives in a 10 litre tank.. a hospital tank... and I'm dying to give him some freedom!

How many different brands of tank are there? The shops where I live, only stock JEBO or Aqua One. I have had an AquaOne 380 a few years back and never had any problems. Which brand would you say is better? I know that AquaOne have increased their prices by 30% recently.... would you say that they make a better quality tank than the affordable JEBO?

If you could let me know of your experiences/problems, that would be great. Thanks guys :o)

The jebo/aqua one tanks are all inclusive tanks which have built in lights and filters. In my opinion the filters are next to useless and the lights aren't the best for plants. However, they do offer a tidy inclusive hood to make the tank look neat and tidy.

I have 1 aqua one tank, and use an external canister filter on it, and can't grow plants because of the lights. The rest of my tanks are simple glass tanks, with an external filter and light hood that sits on top. A simple tank is heaps cheaper, and you can often find good filters on TM or second hand shops - I've found near new eheim canister filters in Cash Converters for $30 - they just don't know what they're worth.

If you can get your hands on a plain glass tank (often you can get 80l for $60 new), stands and inclusive hoods are pretty easy to make if you're handy, or you can just have a glass top. I'd look into that before you spend hundreds on a tank.

I haven't had any experience with Jebo but from what I've seen they look basically the same as Aqua One. I have 2 Aqua One tanks, an AR850 and an AR620. I have plants growing in my AR850 so it can be done, just gotta find the right sort of plants and replace the bulbs. As for problems experienced the power head in the AR620 keeps crapping out for some reason, not hard to fix just need to pull the powerhead apart, give it a clean and put it back together and away it goes. IMO they are a great way to start the fish keeping hobby. One day I will progress on to a bigger tank with external filters and all that stuff but for now the Aqua One tanks just suit me fine.

As lmsmith said, its probably cheaper just to go with a plain tank thats not all inclusive like the Aqua One/Jebo type but check trademe, you might be able to get a cheap second hand one.

What kind of fish is it?? I did read your previous post but can't remember what kind of fish it was.

Hi Brookey25.

I've recently purchased an Aquaone AR850 and the powerhead is way too noisy for my liking. I've researched them and apparently it's pretty normal. All my other tanks are glass boxes with glass lids and lights that sit on the lids. I use both internal and external filters and they are very quiet in comparison to the AR850. I'll be chucking the powerhead soon and setting up an external.

So for my 2 cents worth, I'm with Imsmith and prefer the simple glass tank approach.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Unfortunately, I haven't struck anyone whose had experience with Jebo. I don't know.... I'm just a bit hesitant about getting a 'bargain', when these days, you really do get what you pay for.. if that. You have to pay a lot for quality!

In my local pet store, they're practically GIVING Jebo's away. The 338 model is selling for $160 in the purple, because it's an 'unpopular colour' that I think was discontinued.. but who cares! The fish doesn't care what colour his tank is!!

I was wondering, why are plants to difficult to grow in a tank set like the Jebo or Aqua One? When I had fish years ago, I never actually managed to get a good plantlife established. I used to have an Aqua One, but barely used the UV light. Is it that the tank sets don't have the same exposure to light with everything on the top?

I LOVE the Jebo. I have two 819s and found them better than my Fluval 404 or Ehein wet/dry (but anything would be better than the wet/dry :roll: )

The one on my tropical ran for 12 months before I cleaned it. It has now been running a further 8 months with no problem.

I work with aquaone tanks.

If your looking for the neat finish definatly go for a all inclusive tank like your Eheim, Jebo, Aquaone...

If your looking to keep fancy plecos or what ever glass tank with externals...

All depends on what you want to keep, your budget and the way you want your tank to look in its chosen location.

Hehe that's ok!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Because of where the tank's going to be - in my parents house in their dining room - I've gone for a tank that's easy to maintain and looks great - AquaOne 510 (75 litres). I'll buy my Fantail a couple of friends.. should be a good sized tank for housing 3 adult fish in there, as well as getting some good plantlife established (which I've failed to do in the past when keeping fish).

Although the Jebo is so reasonably priced, I just decided in the end I'll stick with what I know.. and I've never had problems with AquaOne. Good to know there are other options though :o)

I have an aquaone euro style tank, I like the quality of the tank and stand. Plus the built in lighting looks tidy. My newt tank is a standard turtle type 4 footer, still looks good and has the built in dry dock. But most brands in nz would be fairly good i would imagine. Do they have some sort of glass safety minimum for imported tanks?

yeah i think they do have to comply to some sort of safety regulations. That and I've heard of cases where insurance companies do not insure damage if they find the tank did not meet minimum glass thickness. As far as I know, the insurance companies are happy with both Jebos and Aquaones.

Always check your insurance policy covers both tank damage and damage to carpets, floors etc from the water if they crack. Not all policies do. We specifically asked if our policy covered the tank and they said yes. It never occurred to ask if it also covered the damage done by the water - it didn't. We had to lift, dry and re-lay a lot of carpet. Very expensive. Insurance policies often only cover done by "normal" water supplies eg burst mains, broken tap. They do not consider an aquarium "normal" :-? :roll:

• 2 weeks later...