seahorses

livingart

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
sorry my ignorance for marine. but do i need to spend $2000 to set up to have marine, i love clown fish(nemos), blue tang(i think thats the name) and seahorses. do i need to buy expensive coral? and how do i make it sea water?

thanks from dominique

No you don't have to spend $2000 to set up a marine tank. It all depends on what you would like to have in your tank and how much work you want to do yourself. Some inhabitants of our tanks require good water quality, a good amount of flow and strong lighting, so we invest in bigger skimmers, bigger pumps and more watts of lighting.

My advice is to have a read of the info in the stickies at the top of the section, trawl through the forum, go visit some people with reef tanks. With corals when they are in the right conditions they grow and require continual fragging (pruning), some people sell these coral frags to others.

• 1 month later...

how are the babies going?

and where do you get your live food from? do you culture it yourself?

I had seahorses many years ago but when I went away my housesitter couldn't manage them and killed them. Would love to do it again, especially these days now decent marine equipment is available

nice sea horses. i found some last weekend in waihi, but let them go as i didnt have anything set up, what i also found were some smoth sea dragons they looked quit cool so next mission is to build a nice deep tank for some of them and the likes. just woundering where i could find the sea weed fish or do i just need to look harder. :) (arround waihi)

for local horses same as fish only marine system and a supply of live or frozen foods

tank will need to cycle, info in a sticky on here some where

probably need a chiller through summer months as temp needs to be kept down as prolonged keeping at temps above 18 - 20c will cause problems and usually death