Best filter media for an AR510?

eileencarr

I have a few AR series tanks and use ceramic noodle balls as bio, I don't bother with carbon. I get a bag of stiff dacron/filter wool fill from spotlight which is a lot cheaper than the sponges etc from the LFS. I use as the mechanical filter, replacing that at water changes.

They are also handy for throwing a bag of shell/coral rock or peat/java moss in the filter if you are looking to buffer water in any way.

Thats interesting. I have the AR510 as well. My filter is set up with noodles on the bottom, then the black pads then the white stuff with carbon inside. Actually I took the white sponge out at the moment because I find if you dont change it every 3-4 weeks you get these particals that float on the top. I have two filters running in this tank because I found the built in filter useless. I only has 9 guppys and 4 platys in this tank.

On the whole I think the built in filters in Aqua one tanks easy and good to use. Buying filter wool in bulk and cheap means I can replace my mechanical filter every week,( even if i'm not water changing). the more you can keep the big crap out of your bio filter the better your filter will work and the better the quality of your water. The reuasble sponge and carbon pads are expensive, so you tend to hang on to them and they dont do 1/2 the job.IMO,

• 2 weeks later...
Thats interesting. I have the AR510 as well. My filter is set up with noodles on the bottom, then the black pads then the white stuff with carbon inside.

put your black sponge on top to catch the bigger particles or else all you'll do is constantly clog up your carbon cartridge.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had many AR tanks.from original setup they are bio noodles last then the black sponge then the carbon cartridge with a filter pad in built on top.IMO they have always worked flawlessly although i found putting a second piece of very thin filter wool again on top of original cartridge extended the life of the AR cartridge dramatically as you just replace this more often as it gets clogged and becomes less expensive.I know that carbon really is not necessary but the cartridge comes complete and are relatively cheap :P