what kind of external filter?

helen2289

we have a 525 litre tank and are wanting to use extrnal filter (the tank is currently being needed to be clean to often with internal filters and they look ugly)

what is the best without spending to much on it?

should we get one with UV?

should we use 1 or 2?

thanks for your help :bow:

Personally I'd aways go for two smaller over one larger. You get redundancy, can clean one with out disturbing the other, two small (medium) sized ones are often cheaper than one of the less common large ones.

I wouldn't buy a filter with UV, you may or may not be wanting to run UV, but you will always be wanting your filter on. They are different devices that do different jobs, IMO you should keep them separate. Same with heaters in filters.

There are some really good deals on eheim filters at the moment, I've used Fluval's for years with never any problems, you'll find all the common brands are fine just stay away from something that seems to cheap to be true.

Whats your budget and what is the stocking level like?

I have an FX5 on an extremely overcrowded 5ft tank and only clean it every 2-3months it is awesome and I would recommend it to anyone, but they're not that cheap.

2 filters is good, have one as a redundancy in case the other falls over, can also alternate cleans etc.. You could get 2 jebo 819's or cf1200's quite cheaply that would do the job and they're good filters.

It really depends on your budget and what you like there are plenty of ways to do it and you can spend $300 to over $1000 on a top of the line eheim..

IMO a UV probably isn't needed, if your having huge problems with algae or disease they can be good to be used occasionally to help clear it up. But finding the cause of disease/algae works better in the long run. Generally in a well setup and balanced tank you will have no need for UV.

I have an FX5 in a 540 ltr tank with plecs,tetras and Cichlids.

They produce lots of waste and I reckon need the filtration.

Otherwise I'd go for the two cannister idea, especially with fish that produce less waste. I have two external in another 4ft and alternate cleaning them, and as it a malawi tank, so low on waste output, the water is never a worry.

UV filter- as others have said, if the tank is in a light room or prone to algae then perhaps otherwise try without.

I run Eheims, and I love them. On my highly overstocked guppy tank, I have 2 2215s, and the water is always crystal clear. It is also good because when I set up a new tank, I can cycle the new filter on the new tank with a up and running filter, and this really helps the cycle time.

In saying that, if you run another sort of filter, go with whatever you have already, it's much easier to run lots of the same so you can just go on auto pilot for cleaning time, and if you ever have to instruct someone else, you know how it works like the back of your hand.

• 1 month later...
Personally I'd aways go for two smaller over one larger. You get redundancy, can clean one with out disturbing the other, two small (medium) sized ones are often cheaper than one of the less common large ones.

I wouldn't buy a filter with UV, you may or may not be wanting to run UV, but you will always be wanting your filter on. They are different devices that do different jobs, IMO you should keep them separate. Same with heaters in filters.

There are some really good deals on eheim filters at the moment, I've used Fluval's for years with never any problems, you'll find all the common brands are fine just stay away from something that seems to cheap to be true.

The two filter idea is good advice IMO.I run only a fluval 405 on 230lt with a reasonable stock of fish.I have bio rings in first three compartments and a quality thick filter wool in the last for removal of fine particles.they are real versatile and you can experiment with media :bounce:

we have about 20 fish in the tank but we are always adding to it

i would be looking to spead under $500 but i do like the look of a FX5(even though this is more then $500). we also have a fluval 205 at home that we could use with another filter

keep an eye out on tm as occassionally they are for sale at less than that and also on this forum.