Puffer Fish

tuppence7

I have been looking for soooo long for a freshwater puffer. Can anyone suggest any avenues i could try to find one of these little fellows? I really would love one as they are full of personality and as i work from home ill have all the time in the world for one.

alternativly could anyone suggest any other freshwater tropical fish with character? i only have a 90ltr tank and the only resident is my GBA Bristlenose, ive had my tank set up and running almost 6months with nothing but plants etc in it as was holding out for the hope of a puffer but it dosnt look like its going to happen for me.

dwarf puffer tank only need to be 5 gallon for a single specimen. 3 more gallon for each dwarf added.

The tank would need to have some sort of plants (live or fake) to break the line of vision for the puffers to reduce aggression.

FW puffers are quite (or very) hard to come by so you may want to look for something else. Not sure what other fish would have a personality like a dp

if i am not mistaken, one of you guys here told me the same thing, i refuse to believe it but i finally realised its true

just cos its on the list doesnt mea they will import them

for 8 monts i contacted all petshos in the country to bring in different freshwater puffers. They refuse they say it dies too easily in transport.

Stress alone kills them or something plus they always have diseases and stuff.

if its so easy then i believe there would be more in the country

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread, but when was the last time anyone saw puffers for sale?

I see the odd one or two go through Hollywood Albany from time to time, but haven't seen any brackish/fresh water puffers for years. It's a shame because they are such cool wee fish, I would love to have some more.

You'd think with the amount of people looking that one fish shop could place an order to satisfy all?

Sounds like you guys down country are still able to get them from time to time - that's good! Maybe when they are in someone could arrange to ship a couple this way (if the price isn't *too* steep?)

Regarding breeding - only a few species will breed in tanks (I believe Irrubesco, Loreti and Dwarf puffers?)