id please

Adrienne

I posted a pic of this a few weeks ago but no one really knew for sure. Since then the plant has sprouted a stalk of about 60cm, 1/2 way up theres some leaves and at the very top of the tank right on the surface is the first pic. There is a flower (I think) that is open on it on the right.

The second pic is of the plant itself and the third of a plant which I assumed was the same type.

Do I just snip the top one off below the roots and replant

newplant.jpg

sisterplant.jpg

sisterplant2.jpg

It is a sword plant (Echinodorus sp.) but I don't know which one. Put a little peice of lead around the flower stem to keep the plant down in the water and save it from getting damaged in the lights and let it grow a couple of more leaves. by then you should be able to bend the plant gently back towards the mother plant and it should come lose and away from the stalk. You may find it it will grow more plantlets at that point. If you cut it then of course it can't. As a complete aside, does the leaves on the mother plant look as though they are dented with a hammer. If so I will tell you what it is if you sell me the plantlet (with a few more leaves)

• 1 month later...

its up to the top and slightly above the top of the tank at the moment - so over 60cm, the light directly over the tank doesn't seem to be affecting it.

The plantlets have sent out more plantlet shoots as well. I've left some of it with them attached giving the discus a few more hiding spots away from direct light. Its a lovely plant, i'll let the tank overgrow for a little and then have a sort out as I'll have to thin out the val, osiris swords and this plant.