Sand in fresh water aquariums

johnny

Most beach sands around here only have the occasional shell in it. They're FAR from mostly made up of crushed shells.

Now, if it's a white sand beach, that's not made up of crushed shells either, they're usually made up of parrotfish poop. Which is coral.

Tan sands are usually silica, most sands I've seen around NZ are just plain old grey rock(Whatever the name for it is), just finer. Neither of which does anything to the PH.

Seems most tanks could stand to have a little more buffering given by the traces of shells that might be in it, if it's even measurable when in a reasonable size tank with moderate water changes.

Give it a wash, chuck it in a bucket with some fresh water and test the ph.

Leave it a few days with an air stone for circulation then test again, that will give you a pretty good idea, wouldnt think there'd be much sand exposed atm Hoody after all the rain...& dont fall in :wink:

This will be free as it's about 20m from my back door! Just wanting to know what it will do to my water parameter's and what it will look like??

Hmmm... I wouldn't be worrying about pH as much as contaminants. Would you be willing to drink the water 20m from your back door? Are you confident the sand is free from industrial and agricultural run-off?

Test the pH as advised above. When you have rinsed the sand thoroughly, drink about a litre of the rinsing water. If you haven't died or contracted a serious illness in a couple of days, put the sand in your tank. :P

my house is about 300m downstream from where Hamilton draw's it's water from..... :roll: :-?

What is going to be so dfferent re contaminant's as opposed to sand from mitre 10??? Do they "de-contaminate" building sand??? :roll: :roll:

Will do some ph check's as Simian suggested and post result's. Just shoot out the back, be back soon.........

Given how cheap sand is from a building or landscaping supplies place I certainly wouldn't be willing to risk it. Could cost a lot if something wiped out all your fish, not to mention a fine from DOC...

docs not gonna give you a fine for taking a couple of buckets of sand.