YAY me got Bristlenose babies

booger

If there are 4 you can see there is a good chance there's another 10 you can't see :wink:

They lay eggs inside caves or under logs so you may not ever see them although they are large eggs and a nice orange colour. I hope you have some hardwood in the tank as it is a necessary factor to aid their digestion.

The male looks after the eggs and fry although the fry are pretty independent from the beginning.

At that size they could be 3 - 4 weeks old. They don't need special feeding as they will browse on algae and bottom feeder pellets. They also like veges - both fry and parents - like cooked peas (pop them out of their shell first though), zucchini, and cucumber. I believe they also like carrot and apple though haven't tried either myself.

thanks carol. since they have started breeding will they continue to do so? how often will i expect new critters? i bought a female on the off chance that i had a male as he didnt have very many bristles, but it worked :lol:

if your water is right and you dont play with your tank to much (other than water changes) you should get more babies in 4-7 weeks :D they breed more as they get older and as they get use to doing it,

they are so cute when they are little and they grow fast if you feed them up and do lots of small water changes

Hey Guys...i've got some bristlenose bubies too!

I used the Bristlenoses to cycle my new tank (someone gave me some advice that they are real hardy fish) and was about to add a couple of larger fish to the tank in the next few days......

I woke up this morning to find a tiny little wiggling figure high up on the front pane of the tank...my first thought was "what the h@!! is that?" on closer inspection it turned out to be a little dot of a bristlenose.

Mine however are only about 6-8 mm long, and yep you guessed it the rest of the clan is hiding away in thier 3 storey apartment of bogwood! So far i've managed to see about 5-6 (unless the little buggers are moving between windows to joke with me) :lol:

Seems to me like the move into a new tank, has been something of a honeymoon for this pair (if you get my drift) :wink: ....now i just gotta hope they survive......

ChrisMack