Low Ph a problem?

jc360

i have a large tank. The town supply of water in Tauranga is around 7.0 however my tank has ph has been dropping below 6.0!!! i know that some fish like Discus appreciate this level but i introduced a school of Danios and lost the majority of them. The remaining seem stuffed, they have inconsistent white marks, as well as some pinkness in areas. Don't care much for the danios but i have noticed the same white marks on the head of my Severum.

Two questions...

Is the cause of my dilemma the low Ph?

How can i maintain a nice and neutral Ph?

please note drift wood is a feature of the aquarium

I have just added a pot full of crushed shell.

6ph is 100 x more acidic than 7 which is the preferred ph for danios so my opinion is yes this is your problem. The pinkness will be acid burn. You need to find cause of ph drop. How long has the tank been set up and how often do you do water changes?

tank has been up and running nearly 1 year with low mortality rates, i have reduced reduced water changes during winter to 10% once every 3/4 weeks.

And yes two large pieces of drift wood are in the tank apart from that i have recently added some rocks that i have got from the beach, as well as a smallish chunk of lime? found on the shore of Lake Te Anau.

big fish, i have a big fish, cheers guys, tank is 6 foot, which primarily houses a huge fire eel (65+cm) two large severum, school of lacy gouramis (8), i have done a 20% change tonight and have observed a noticeable improvement in fish behaviour. Tana the fire eel eats around a handful of defrosted shrimp a night (a lot of waste) but hasn't eaten consistently for a couple of days.

Dixon, would you believe Tana is so tame that tetras die of old age in that tank, he wont even eat anything that isn't fed to him by hand, if i drop a shrimp once it floats past his head he wont go near it.

Heating is a Gas burner.

Thinking that ph could be lower than 6 but that is the limit of my tester.

thats really interesting about the gas heater. a part of the gaseous exchange process going on the water surface, so what's the gas heater putting into the air? if in fact this can have an impact on the ph level?

Carbon dioxide among other things, that being the one that matters in this case. It lowers PH. Whether it's significant I'm skeptical. I think it's probably just a contributing factor in this case exaggerated by your insufficient water changes.

Get a handful of bird grit and throw that in your cannister filter. Throw another one in if you need more in a week or two.

tank has been up and running nearly 1 year with low mortality rates, i have reduced reduced water changes during winter to 10% once every 3/4 weeks.

This answers the question, go back to what you were doing. High bioload with not much water being changed = low ph.

i introduced a school of Danios and lost the majority of them.

I would think this would be because of a ph shock, not introducing them quite right. Dainos will take that ph but need to adapt to it slowly.