Daphnia?

Ashriel

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Speaking of daphnia, I just went in search of some because I knew where a little pond had gathered, in it sure enough I found little bugs in there, but they are red looking, not clear as daphnia are supposed to be, i put one in my tank one of my lemon tetras munched it down. What could it be?

Hi Luke,

Daphnia are often red under good conditions, and a lot depends on what they are feeding on, as their bodies are almost transparent.

Good find BTW... Keep it a secret :)

If you intend to keep some, then make sure they have heaps of air (if kept in a tank) as they consume lots and will die if overcrowded.

Green water (as mentioned elsewhere) is the ideal food for them.

They remind me of Darleks (sp) off the old Dr Who series he he.

They often die of lack of oxygen when the catcher is too greedy

If when you catch them, you put them onto a damp piece of sheeting, spread them out as you tip them onto it of course, and you can build a few layers like this Just immerse them at home, and very few losses.

Feed definately has a lot to do with their coloration. Clear, not much food around, brown or red, feeding on plant deitrius, green, feeding on algae.

Wonder if I could transport mossie lavae like that as well.mmmmmmmm might try that next time.

Alan 104