Anyone moved a half full tank?

The Great White Hand

We're moving house, only two doors down but have to move the tank and Loopy still has my other net so don't want to net all the fish (4 discus, 11 rummy nose, blue rams, 6 corys, 4 ottos, some harlequins.)

ant tips on moving a half full tank AR 980 (215ltr) on and Aqau one stand.

any advice welcome!

Regards, TGWH

I would say it would stress out the discus and rams too much.

So try your best to netout the discus,rams and other nonhardy fish with something like a pillowcase for the discus and maybe make traps for the rams?

And move the tank with the least amount of water possible maybe only10-15cm of water?

Remove all the fish, stones and water. The base is not thick glass. I am moving one the same this week and will fully empty it. Bag the fish as you would buy them from a shop and put them in a poly box until the tank is reset up. Save as much of the tank water as you can. Better to be safe THAN HAVE A TANK WITH NO BOTTOM IN IT. :oops: :oops: :oops:

i have done it a number of times.

half full is too much water tho, i usually leave about an inch of water, and just leave the catfish etc in there. too hard to find the banjos

carry the tank on a thick piece of ply or similar that will support the bottom.

you can pick up a big bucket from the warehouse for not much, so that you can take your water with you, also good to put the discus and rams in.

thats what we do, just a big black rubbish type bin if your trip is going to be short (as it looks to be!) that we put all water and fish that we can in (so we can put as much original water back in as poss) and leave about an inch of water in the tank. during all our moves that has been the way and only deaths have been 2 cichlids (someone forgot to aerate the water as our trip was over an hour :oops: ) :D:D:D

i have recently been moving a AR620T with water in it and i cracked the bottom i would to recommend movings it with any more then 15cm of water. It may seem like a lot of work to just shift it down the street but its better then a cracked tank.

If you are getting the 60 liter wheely storers from the warehouse, they aren't suitable for moving when there is 60 liters of water in them. They crap, spectacularly, leaving 55 liters of water on the floor and fish flopping around.

Apparently calling something 60 liters doesn't mean you should use it to hold liquid.

We're moving house, only two doors down but have to move the tank and Loopy still has my other net so don't want to net all the fish (4 discus, 11 rummy nose, blue rams, 6 corys, 4 ottos, some harlequins.)

ant tips on moving a half full tank AR 980 (215ltr) on and Aqau one stand.

any advice welcome!

Regards, TGWH

You have two options

a) Borrow or buy a small holding tank, take it to your new place, fill it with water from your main tank and dump all the fish in there. Empty the rest of the main tank, carry it to the new address, refill / relandscape it and dump fresh and the holding tank water and fish in.

b) try and carry your main tank, break you back / toe / tank.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the advice!

My piano movers took the tank down this afternoon with probably 10-15cms of water and the fish. Everything got a hell of a stir up. Filters were down, but not dry for about 25mins and replaced about 70% of the water. fingers crossed - so far so good. Tank fits beautifully at the new place!

Regards, TGWH

im about to do that with my smaller tanks and the frog tanks on thurs but i still have to sort out how im going to shift the euroveiw 90 as we dont get a trailer and truck till friday nite and im pretty sure the stand wont fit in my car! here is my plan : remove lites, co2 lids plants and bogwood, syphon tank water into 2 20l buckets (with lids) i have, catch fish put in the buckets , remove heaters(2x200w) and filter , put fish in car as well as heaters and filter (dont forget to bring my python) , go to new house chuck the heaters in the buckets and put the filter into the guppy tank running on low (just to keep the filter alive), go back to old house remove all gravel in tank( so i can lift it bymyself ,still very heavy) , break down stand(it unscrews) put in car , go 2 new place , rebuild stand, put tank on it , fill with sand(pre brought and already rinsed), put a plate on the sand and 3/4 fill tank with 26deg water(heaters set to 26 in buckets, will check temp is the same with thermometer first) put fish in, chuck plants in (aquascape and plant later) put heaters in and set up filter. my question is will i need to aerate the buckets while im back at the old house doing getting the tank(could take a while!) also to help clear the sandy water quicker im wondering about the clearing agents u can buy at the pet shop to floccultae particles together so they clear faster, has ane 1 used these ?