dead dwarf

snake kid

my friend who does not have an account on fnzas has tank he recently got some dwarf gouramis and they keep dieing as he has made several attempts and they have died every time It is a 120 litre tank the make is juwel he has for filters and all the best stuff for his tank he does a near full water change every three months and his fish are constantly happy and healthy but they still die every time it is really getting annoying for him as he has been saving up for these fish for along time and they are quiet expensive so please can some one help him :(

He should probably do water changes a lot more often than 3 months. The nitrate level is probably building to a toxic level in this time. Some fish are more sensitive to nitrate but all will find it toxic at some stage. A nitrate test kit will show you what level you have. A good target is 30ppm max but preferably 10-20ppm.

I'd change to doing a minimum of 50% water change once a month, 40% every two weeks or better still, 30% per week. The more often it's done and the bigger % change the better off the fish will be and the lower the nitrate level. For example, many top discus breeders will do 90% water changes 2 times a day...

Nitrate is toxic but the fish normally don't show any signs of being poisoned until 1-2 days before they die. It also increases the likelihood of dropsy and most other diseases due to the infection pressure being raised by the toxic nitrate level.

All the good filters he has will not help in this case. They will do an excellent job of converting the more toxic ammonia and nitrite to nitrate but will not remove the nitrate. 3 months is a very long time to go without a water change.

Without even asking what else is in the tank I'd comment on the water change regime.

As far as I'm aware Gourami's aren't fast water dwellers in the wild so lots of filtration and massive changes in their environment, as 90% water changes will be are going to be big shocks. Tell your mate to do two bucket loads of water change every week. His whole tank will be a far more stable and consistent environment.

Things like the dwarf chocolates aren't the easiest fish to keep. best of luck

These fish require regular water changes,to keep them healthy.I was doing water changes every three days.They were thriving and i had no problems with them.But i slipped up for a month and was only doing once a week.Will i had problems after that gouramis dying looking sick and was not able to get on top of it again.They require looking after like discus imo to keep them healthy.They are not a fish i would recommend for some one starting out or to busy to .keep it up.

yeah, water quality has to be pretty good for them.

I usually do about 25% water change a week on the tank with the dwarfs and they seem fine

Same, i have 4 now. Pair of Powder Blues and pair of Red neons ?

Do a weekly 20-25% water change. They share the tank with some tiger barbs and neon's but ive never seen any problems.

Shy at first but recently have noticed they are spending more time out in the front of the tank.